F1 News, Reports and Race Results

Teams packing up at Imola ahead of Monaco departure

Formula 1 teams have been allowed access back into the paddock at Autodromo Enzo e Dino Ferrari in flood-hit Imola in order to pack up their equipment and prepare for dispatch to Monaco.

F1 confirmed on Wednesday that this weekend’s Emilia Romagna Grand Prix has been abandoned after intensive rain in the area led to fears that the nearby Santerno river could burst its banks and flood the circuit.

With local roads flooded and impassable in places, teams had been ordered to stay away from the track from Tuesday afternoon. AlphaTauri's Nyck de Vries had found it impossible to reach the team's factory by road in nearby Faenza.

The F2 paddock and F1’s TV compound had been hit by flood water, but the F1 paddock was on higher ground and escaped. Some term personnel were still in transit to Italy when the circuit was closed, and were sent home.

Today the teams have been given the all-clear to get back to the pit lane and the half-competed garage facilities in order to pack up their equipment in readiness for shipping to the next venue in Monaco.

© Twitter.com

With just a week originally scheduled between Imola and Monaco, any further delay in getting equipment out of the flood-hit area could still threaten F1's 'crown jewel' event, although teams are confident that it will go smoothly.

It remains unclear whether the abandoned Grand Prix will be rescheduled for later in the year, or whether the 2023 calendar will be reduced to 22 events and Imola's current contract to host the event extended into 2026 instead.

Fans with tickets for this weekend's race are being given the choice to convert them to tickets for 2024, or alternatively apply for a refund - although the processing of the requests may be delayed by the current situation.

Formula 1 CEO Stefano Domenicali said that while it had been a difficult decision and that he was sorry for the fans who had been planning to attend, in another way there had been simply no question of going ahead.

©Instagram/FlavioBriatore

“There are difficult decisions but in certain situations they have to be taken,” Domenicali told Italy's SkySport24 on Wednesday.

“It is logical to give priority to what is happening. It is a difficult situation and the priority was the safety of the population that is suffering.

“When I arrived on Tuesday evening it was clear that there was no other alternative," he said. “The track would have been ready to be run, but the priority was something else.

"Having said that, I informed all the teams and nobody had any objections," he added. “We are sorry for the Imola fans and enthusiasts - we will try to find the right solution."

Keep up to date with all the F1 news via Facebook and Twitter

Andrew Lewin

Andrew first became a fan of Formula 1 during the time when Michael Schumacher and Damon Hill were stepping into the limelight after the era of Alain Prost, Nigel Mansell and Aryton Senna. He's been addicted ever since, and has been writing about the sport now for nearly a quarter of a century for a number of online news sites. He's also written professionally about GP2 (now Formula 2), GP3, IndyCar, World Rally Championship, MotoGP and NASCAR. In his other professional life, Andrew is a freelance writer, social media consultant, web developer/programmer, and digital specialist in the fields of accessibility, usability, IA, online communities and public sector procurement. He worked for many years in magazine production at Bauer Media, and for over a decade he was part of the digital media team at the UK government's communications department. Born and raised in Essex, Andrew currently lives and works in south-west London.

Recent Posts

Vettel reveals his ‘gut feeling’ title favourite for 2026

Four-time world champion Sebastian Vettel has thrown a bold prediction into Formula 1’s swirling 2026…

1 hour ago

Honda issues sink Aston Martin’s final day of running in Bahrain

Aston Martin’s pre-season preparations in Bahrain have taken on the air of a slow-motion collapse,…

3 hours ago

Leclerc fastest midday in Bahrain on final day of testing

Ferrari laid down another statement in the opening session of Friday’s final day of pre-season…

5 hours ago

Penske's journey from driver to the Captain

Racing legend Roger Penske turns 89 today, but don't expect the Captain to take his…

6 hours ago

Leclerc and Sainz sound warning as F1 plans Sprint expansion

Formula 1’s plan to double its Sprint races from six to 12 per season in…

6 hours ago

Domenicali hits back at 2026 F1 critics: ‘We need to stay calm’

Stefano Domenicali has a message for Formula 1’s growing chorus of worriers: take a deep…

8 hours ago