F1 News, Reports and Race Results

Wolff reveals 'entertaining' chat with Ben Sulayem

Mercedes boss Toto Wolff says he enjoyed an "entertaining" discussion with FIA president Mohammed Ben Sulayem on Saturday at Silverstone.

The two men were pictured in close conversation on the top floor of the FIA hospitality unit just before qualifying.

Wolff stopped short of revealing the details of the informal meeting, but given that they had not seen each other for some time it was an opportunity to catch up on a series of topics.

"It was entertaining," Wolff told the media. "The discussion was normal but it’s always good.

"There’s a few things that can be discussed. We discussed the overall situation in Formula 1, Concorde and these things.

"But it is more, we haven’t seen each other for a while and there was an exchange on a few topics."

Read also:

Earlier this year, ahead of the start of the 2023 season, Ben Sulayem opted to step back from his daily involvement with F1.

The decision followed a period of growing tensions between the governing body and F1, fueled by Ben Sulayem's reaction to rumors that F1 had received a massive $20 billion buy-out offer from Saudi Arabia's sovereign wealth fund.

The FIA president called the valuation an "inflated price tag" which triggered an angry reaction from Formula 1 whose legal department fired off a letter in which it accused the governing body's top official of meddling in the sport's commercial affairs.

However, F1 later denied that Saudi Arabia had tabled an offer to acquire the sport.

But the FIA president was back in the news this week, having thrown his support behind Andretti-Cadillac's candidacy to join the grid.

Wolff, along with several of his F1 colleagues, has been vocal in opposing new teams joining the fray, not only for financial reasons, as this would dilute the teams' current prize fund, but also for safety reasons, arguing that adding an eleventh team on the grid would create more congestion out on track and in the pit lane at certain circuits.

"When you look at qualifying sessions, I mean already now we’re looking like on a go-kart track — we’re tripping over each other," Wolff said at Silverstone.

"There is a safety concern: we haven’t got the logistics, where to put an 11th team. Here in Silverstone, we can accommodate the Hollywood people [a reference to the presence of a fictional team in the pitlane] but on other circuits, we can’t."

Wolff hinted that the above concern as well as F1's current $200 million anti-dilution fee inscribed in the sport's Concorde Agreement had also been discussed with Ben Sulayem.

"What’s being said in public has created a perception that is diverging," Wolff said. "But it’s actually not because the FIA and Formula 1 wrote Concorde as well as the teams.

"I think there’s probably a little bit of a negotiation position in there but the sense that I get is that everybody’s pushing in the same direction."

Keep up to date with all the F1 news via Facebook and Twitter

Phillip van Osten

Motor racing was a backdrop from the outset in Phillip van Osten's life. Born in Southern California, Phillip grew up with the sights and sounds of fast cars thanks to his father, Dick van Osten, an editor and writer for Auto Speed and Sport and Motor Trend. Phillip's passion for racing grew even more when his family moved to Europe and he became acquainted with the extraordinary world of Grand Prix racing. He was an early contributor to the monthly French F1i Magazine, often providing a historic or business perspective on Formula 1's affairs. In 2012, he co-authored along with fellow journalist Pierre Van Vliet the English-language adaptation of a limited edition book devoted to the great Belgian driver Jacky Ickx. He also authored "The American Legacy in Formula 1", a book which recounts the trials and tribulations of American drivers in Grand Prix racing. Phillip is also a commentator for Belgian broadcaster Be.TV for the US Indycar series.

Recent Posts

Stella names rivals ‘a step ahead’ of McLaren after Bahrain

McLaren arrived in Bahrain for pre-season testing determined to defend its status as Formula 1’s…

11 hours ago

Hulkenberg says Audi’s rivals haven't 'pulled their pants down' yet

Nico Hulkenberg has given F1 fans a vivid image to ponder ahead of the 2026…

13 hours ago

Total mileage and fastest laps from F1 pre-season testing

Under the pale winter sun of Barcelona and the desert glare of Bahrain, George Russell…

15 hours ago

Remembering the man who conquered F1's most thrilling win

Peter Gethin, the man who secured perhaps the most thrilling win ever witnessed in Grand…

16 hours ago

Aston Martin’s nightmare: Honda owns up to power unit meltdown

Aston Martin engine supplier Honda has publicly conceded what the timing screens in Bahrain had…

17 hours ago

Piastri explains management shake-up ahead of 2026 F1 season

As the countdown to 2026 gathers pace, Oscar Piastri has reshuffled his inner circle –…

18 hours ago