F1 News, Reports and Race Results

Sainz: Yas Marina bump at Turn 3 ‘just made me a passenger’

Carlos Sainz suspects a bump at the entry of Yas Marina’s Turn 3 unsettled his Ferrari in Friday’s FP2, making him a hopeless passenger as it veered off course and spun into the barriers.

The Spaniard crashed after just 8 minutes in the session, the incident triggering an inevitable red flag but also a 30-minute halt.

After Sainz’s costly encounter in Las Vegas with a water valve cover, the crash equated to another pricey capital expense for Ferrari that will likely further impact its budget cap.

Contrary to last weekend however, there will be no grid penalty for Sainz. While Ferrari will change several power unit elements on the SF-23, it will rely on previously used, and fresher, components.

Fortunately, this year’s Singapore Grand Prix winner walked away unscathed from the heavy hit.

“I'm feeling good,” said Sainz. “It was a pretty big crash, but in the end, with these safe cars, you can get away with these pretty big hits untouched.

“Obviously [I'm] a little bit sore, but nothing to worry about.

“We definitely changed things from FP1 to FP2 which might have had an effect but obviously, I'm not going to go into details of that.

“Unfortunately, I just couldn't control the car. It just snapped on me and it's those moments where you feel like you're a complete passenger and you wish you maybe could have done something different.”

Sainz speculated that a bump at Turn 3 has become more prominent over the years. In FP1, he was given a warning of its presence.

“For some reason, there's been a change in the track over the years, there's two bumps,” he said.

“One at the exit of Turn 2 and one at the entry of Turn 3, that with this new generation of cars, it's upsetting the car a lot.

“It nearly caught me out in FP1, I had to change a few things in the setup and in the line trying to get rid of it.

“For some reason again, in that lap, it surprised me. It must have been an angle or a way that I took the bump and it just made me a passenger.

“We've seen before with this generation of cars that any of these small bumps can really make you make have a pretty heavy crash.”

Keep up to date with all the F1 news via Facebook and Twitter

Phillip van Osten

Motor racing was a backdrop from the outset in Phillip van Osten's life. Born in Southern California, Phillip grew up with the sights and sounds of fast cars thanks to his father, Dick van Osten, an editor and writer for Auto Speed and Sport and Motor Trend. Phillip's passion for racing grew even more when his family moved to Europe and he became acquainted with the extraordinary world of Grand Prix racing. He was an early contributor to the monthly French F1i Magazine, often providing a historic or business perspective on Formula 1's affairs. In 2012, he co-authored along with fellow journalist Pierre Van Vliet the English-language adaptation of a limited edition book devoted to the great Belgian driver Jacky Ickx. He also authored "The American Legacy in Formula 1", a book which recounts the trials and tribulations of American drivers in Grand Prix racing. Phillip is also a commentator for Belgian broadcaster Be.TV for the US Indycar series.

Recent Posts

Verstappen fighting RB22 in Canada with ‘feet flying off the pedals'

Max Verstappen was less a contender in Friday’s Sprint qualifying in Montreal and more a…

1 hour ago

Mekies insists ‘no intention’ behind Wolff-Jos Verstappen meeting

The sight was irresistible Formula 1 fuel: Jos Verstappen deep in conversation with Toto Wolff…

10 hours ago

Canadian GP: Friday's action in pictures

The Canadian GP weekend kicked off in earnest on Friday under clear blue skies, but…

11 hours ago

Canadian GP: Russell beats Antonelli to Sprint qualifying pole

George Russell reignited his 2026 Formula 1 title push by securing Sprint pole position for…

11 hours ago

Canadian Grand Prix - Sprint qualifying results

Full results from Sprint qualifying for the Canadian Grand Prix in Montreal, round 5 of…

11 hours ago

Norris refuses to call upcoming races ‘deal breakers’ in title defence

Reigning F1 world champion Lando Norris has moved to cool any early-season panic surrounding McLaren’s…

14 hours ago