©McLaren
So far, McLaren hasn’t been able to establish itself as a front-runner in Formula E, but the Woking-based outfit's top brass remains “absolutely committed” to the all-electric series.
In 2022, McLaren took over the assets and personnel of reigning FE champions Mercedes, including team principal Ian James.
But contrary to its predecessor, it could not extend its winning ways draped in papaya, the team concluding its maiden campaign under the Neom McLaren name with just a single podium finish on its books.
Last weekend’s double header in Diriyah, Saudi Arabia yielded a pair of P4s, one each for drivers Jakes Hughes and Sam Bird.
But perhaps far more significant was the news ahead of the weekend communicated by James confirming McLaren's continuation as a Nissan customer team throughout the Gen3 era.
The team has therefore been ensured that it will continue to receive hardware from the Japanese manufacturer in the upcoming Gen3.5 seasons in 2025 and 2026.
In 2027, Formula E will introduce the highly anticipated Gen4 era, and James revealed that McLaren is actively involved in shaping the future of Formula E alongside the FIA and the series organizers.
While McLaren is firmly committed to remaining in Formula E throughout Gen4, it is "too early" to determine whether they will continue their partnership with Nissan, forge a new alliance with another manufacturer, or even step up as a powertrain supplier themselves.
“Absolutely committed. Formula E, I think, is very much again on an upward trajectory,” James said last week in Diriyah, quoted by Motorsport Week.
“I think if we take a look at even the start of this season, the engagement that we’ve got, the viewing figures and so on and so forth, that’s moving again in the right direction.
“The calendar is looking very, very strong indeed, both with races that we’ve had for quite some time now, but some great new venues as well. So all of that is moving in the right direction.
“And then we’re very much engaged with the FIA, with FE, in really setting out what the blueprint looks like, what that roadmap looks like for the future.
“So Gen4 is shaping up to be a significant step forward from Gen3. And from a racing perspective, and Zak mentioned it earlier, the McLaren family exists to go racing.
“That excites us greatly today. We’re a customer team, as you know of Nissan, very pleased with the collaboration that we’ve had there, and we’re continuing to work with them and that will continue throughout the Gen3 programme.”
Regardless of what the future may hold, James believes that Neom McLaren is in a good place.
“I think it’s early, too early to say at the moment what the future looks like for Gen4, but I think that we’re very well set up as a team to be able to add more value and influence into the development process.
“So as we’re now positioned, I think, and well established going into our second season within Formula E, that’s something that we’re going to be looking to capitalise on for Gen4.”
Brown was also clear about McLaren’s future in Formula E.
“I don’t really have anything else [to add],” he said. “I’ll just reiterate what Ian said that we’re fully committed to Formula E.”
Keep up to date with all the F1 news via Facebook and Twitter
Dutch Grand Prix Sprint poleman George Russell returned from Formula 1’s summer break with a…
Fernando Alonso arrived at Zandvoort hoping Honda’s much-anticipated new power unit would help Aston Martin…
Kimi Antonelli emerged from Friday’s Sprint qualifying only 0.227 seconds off Mercedes team-mate George Russell’s…
Mercedes stole a march on its rivals along the shores of the North Sea on…
George Russell produced a late surge to claim pole position for Saturday’s Dutch Grand Prix…
Full results from Sprint qualifying for the Dutch Grand Prix in Zandvoort, round 12 of…