F1 News, Reports and Race Results

Bottas still waiting on Sauber – denies financial hurdle

Valtteri Bottas is still waiting for clarity on his Formula 1 future with Sauber, but denies that money is holding up a new deal between himself and the Swiss outfit.

The Finn, who joined Sauber in 2022, has expressed a strong desire to stay with the team, particularly as he transitions into a works Audi outfit when new regulations come into play in 2026.

Heading into this weekend's US Grand Prix, Bottas had initially hoped that his future would be settled during the autumn break, but that has not materialized.

The decision now lies with Sauber F1 chief Mattia Binotto, who was appointed earlier this year to guide the team through its transformation into Audi.

“I think I mentioned that I was hoping before Austin to be sorted, but we're still waiting for the final decisions,” Bottas told the media in Austin on Thursday.

“I think that question is more for Mattia to answer, rather than me. At the moment, I've got the message that there's nothing I can do at the moment, and it is not in my hands.

“Of course, I'm trying to perform the best I can this weekend, and hope that will boost things up. But that's where we are.”

Recent speculation had suggested that a delay in finalizing Bottas' future might be linked to financial disagreements, with rumors that the Finn was pushing for a higher salary. However, Bottas dismissed these claims, stating that both sides had already agreed on contractual terms.

“We've been in touch on [a] weekly basis, and I know the terms that I'm up for and am just basically waiting for the green light,” he added.

Asked if financial issues were holding up the deal, he added: “Shouldn't be, shouldn't be an issue.

“I think the terms we're talking about, I think they should be OK. And I think Audi should have the budget, at least that's the word out there. So I don't think it should be an issue.”

Binotto faces a tough decision, balancing whether to prioritize Bottas' experience or opt for a fresh face in the form of a rookie. The uncertainty obviously leaves Sauber's incumbent in a precarious position, with only one seat remaining on the 2025 grid.

“In the situation I'm in now, with only one seat available, of course, there is a risk,” Bottas said. “I love Formula 1, and I want to race in Formula 1. So, naturally, it's a bit of an odd situation.

“But, you know, that's where we are, and I've had lots of time to think about different things.”

While Bottas patiently awaits his team's decision, he remains focused on performing at his best on the track. His determination and belief in his abilities are evident, as he continues to work hard and contribute to the team's success.

“I'm always positive. I always stay positive, because I really feel and believe that I should be in that seat. “I feel I would be best for the interest of the team,” he concluded.

“So, that's why I'm staying positive. And like I said, not much more I can do now, other than performing on the track and working hard with the team.”

Keep up to date with all the F1 news via Facebook and Twitter

Phillip van Osten

Motor racing was a backdrop from the outset in Phillip van Osten's life. Born in Southern California, Phillip grew up with the sights and sounds of fast cars thanks to his father, Dick van Osten, an editor and writer for Auto Speed and Sport and Motor Trend. Phillip's passion for racing grew even more when his family moved to Europe and he became acquainted with the extraordinary world of Grand Prix racing. He was an early contributor to the monthly French F1i Magazine, often providing a historic or business perspective on Formula 1's affairs. In 2012, he co-authored along with fellow journalist Pierre Van Vliet the English-language adaptation of a limited edition book devoted to the great Belgian driver Jacky Ickx. He also authored "The American Legacy in Formula 1", a book which recounts the trials and tribulations of American drivers in Grand Prix racing. Phillip is also a commentator for Belgian broadcaster Be.TV for the US Indycar series.

Recent Posts

Stella names rivals ‘a step ahead’ of McLaren after Bahrain

McLaren arrived in Bahrain for pre-season testing determined to defend its status as Formula 1’s…

15 hours ago

Hulkenberg says Audi’s rivals haven't 'pulled their pants down' yet

Nico Hulkenberg has given F1 fans a vivid image to ponder ahead of the 2026…

17 hours ago

Total mileage and fastest laps from F1 pre-season testing

Under the pale winter sun of Barcelona and the desert glare of Bahrain, George Russell…

19 hours ago

Remembering the man who conquered F1's most thrilling win

Peter Gethin, the man who secured perhaps the most thrilling win ever witnessed in Grand…

20 hours ago

Aston Martin’s nightmare: Honda owns up to power unit meltdown

Aston Martin engine supplier Honda has publicly conceded what the timing screens in Bahrain had…

21 hours ago

Piastri explains management shake-up ahead of 2026 F1 season

As the countdown to 2026 gathers pace, Oscar Piastri has reshuffled his inner circle –…

22 hours ago