F1 News, Reports and Race Results

Magnussen pulls out of Friday running in Brazil – Bearman steps in

Kevin Magnussen will not take part in Friday’s running at the Sao Paulo Grand Prix due to falling ill, with Haas reserve Oliver Bearman taking over the Dane’s seat.

As Bearman will take part in today’s FP1 and Sprint qualifying sessions, the Briton will race in Saturday’s Sprint event at the Autodromo José Carlos Pace, with Magnussen hopefully returning to active duty in tomorrow afternoon’s Grand Prix qualifying session.

Haas announced on Friday morning that Magnussen was unwell, but the US outfit provided no insight into its driver’s sickness.

"Kevin Magnussen will not participate in Friday’s track running at the São Paulo Grand Prix after suffering with sickness," read a statement from Haas.

"Official reserve driver Oliver Bearman will take over driving duties. The team wishes Kevin a quick recovery and will provide a further update in due course."

Magnussen, who is in his final races in F1 with Haas, may end up missing the entire race weekend if the 32-year-old isn’t fit and well by Saturday afternoon.

The FIA has authorized the normal temporary driver permutation at Haas.

"In accordance with Article 32.2 of the FIA Formula One Sporting Regulations, the Stewards grant permission for the driver, Oliver Bearman, with the car number 50, to participate in the 2024 São Paulo Grand Prix in place of Kevin Magnussen until further notice,” stated the FIA.

"The driver of car 50 is required to use the engine, gearbox and tyres which were allocated to the original driver, Kevin Magnussen as detailed under Article 32.5 of the FIA Formula One Sporting Regulations."

As a reminder, Bearman – who will race full-time for Haas in 2025, substituted for Magnussen in Baku earlier this season following the latter’s race ban for reaching the critical 12-point threshold on his superlicence.

Keep up to date with all the F1 news via Facebook and Twitter

Phillip van Osten

Motor racing was a backdrop from the outset in Phillip van Osten's life. Born in Southern California, Phillip grew up with the sights and sounds of fast cars thanks to his father, Dick van Osten, an editor and writer for Auto Speed and Sport and Motor Trend. Phillip's passion for racing grew even more when his family moved to Europe and he became acquainted with the extraordinary world of Grand Prix racing. He was an early contributor to the monthly French F1i Magazine, often providing a historic or business perspective on Formula 1's affairs. In 2012, he co-authored along with fellow journalist Pierre Van Vliet the English-language adaptation of a limited edition book devoted to the great Belgian driver Jacky Ickx. He also authored "The American Legacy in Formula 1", a book which recounts the trials and tribulations of American drivers in Grand Prix racing. Phillip is also a commentator for Belgian broadcaster Be.TV for the US Indycar series.

Recent Posts

Aston Martin F1 sells minor stake to billionaire Woody Johnson

Aston Martin F1 has added a high-profile new investor to its rostrum of shareholders, with…

3 hours ago

Dutch GP: Thursday's media in pictures

Formula 1 roars back into action this weekend as the summer break gives way to…

4 hours ago

Gasly praises Verstappen’s manager for achieving ‘nice pay rise’

Pierre Gasly has offered a mischievous glimpse behind the curtain of Max Verstappen’s new Red…

4 hours ago

Russell says Mercedes seat ‘never under threat’ by Verstappen

George Russell has offered a cool-headed response to Max Verstappen’s decision to remain at Red…

5 hours ago

Verstappen says retirement was closer than joining rival F1 team

Max Verstappen has revealed that his Formula 1 future came perilously close to ending altogether,…

6 hours ago

Cadillac F1 quash sale rumours amid TWG investigation

Cadillac has moved swiftly to quash speculation that its fledgling Formula 1 operation could be…

8 hours ago