F1 News, Reports and Race Results

Wolff backs Bottas for F1 comeback: ‘The door is going to open’

Mercedes F1 boss Toto Wolff has thrown his weight behind Valtteri Bottas, predicting that “a door is going to open” for the team’s reserve driver to make a full-time return to the grid in 2026.

Bottas raced for Mercedes between 2017 and 2021, partnering Lewis Hamilton during one of the most dominant eras in F1 history.

But after three seasons with Alfa Romeo/Sauber, the Finn’s contract was not renewed, prompting his return to Brackley in 2025 as reserve driver.

Wolff made clear he’s thrilled to have Bottas back – but believes the 10-time Grand Prix winner should be racing again.

“Obviously, Valtteri has been part of the Mercedes family for a long, long time,” Wolff said in Mercedes’ mid-season review on YouTube.

©Mercedes

“He is a driver where, if some of our drivers had fish poisoning, you put him in the car and he’s going to be absolutely on pace. That’s great to know – that your reserve and third driver is as quick as it gets.

“Obviously, with Valtteri, he deserves a race seat. Hopefully, that door is going to open. Watch this space.”

Cadillac Connection

Bottas has been linked for months with Cadillac’s 2026 F1 entry and is considered a leading candidate to spearhead the American manufacturer’s debut. Speaking earlier this summer on F1’s Beyond The Grid podcast, he offered an update on talks.

Read also:

“I don’t think they’re in a massive rush. They’ve been very, very busy on trying to get a car on the grid for next year,” he said at the time.

“I know my timeline, when I want to know about next year and what plans do I need to make, which I think, August, more or less, is a pretty good target for that. But hopefully we’ll hear something more soon.”

With Cadillac expected to name at least one driver in the coming weeks, Wolff’s public vote of confidence could prove decisive in Bottas’ push to rejoin the F1 grid.

Keep up to date with all the F1 news via X and Facebook

Phillip van Osten

Motor racing was a backdrop from the outset in Phillip van Osten's life. Born in Southern California, Phillip grew up with the sights and sounds of fast cars thanks to his father, Dick van Osten, an editor and writer for Auto Speed and Sport and Motor Trend. Phillip's passion for racing grew even more when his family moved to Europe and he became acquainted with the extraordinary world of Grand Prix racing. He was an early contributor to the monthly French F1i Magazine, often providing a historic or business perspective on Formula 1's affairs. In 2012, he co-authored along with fellow journalist Pierre Van Vliet the English-language adaptation of a limited edition book devoted to the great Belgian driver Jacky Ickx. He also authored "The American Legacy in Formula 1", a book which recounts the trials and tribulations of American drivers in Grand Prix racing. Phillip is also a commentator for Belgian broadcaster Be.TV for the US Indycar series.

Recent Posts

Is McLaren’s edge slipping? Norris drops subtle warning

Reigning Formula 1 world champion Lando Norris has warned that McLaren’s 2026 challenger may not…

10 hours ago

Bahrain F1 testing: Day 5 in pictures

Thursday’s action at the Bahrain International Circuit delivered plenty of eye-catching moments as pre-season preparations…

11 hours ago

Bahrain F1 test: Antonelli and Mercedes fastest on Day 5

Mercedes continued to set the pace on Thursday at the Bahrain International Circuit, with Kimi…

12 hours ago

Wolff hits back at F1 compression ratio controversy: ‘Utter bullshit’

Toto Wolff has dismissed Formula 1’s escalating compression ratio controversy as “a storm in a…

13 hours ago

Ferrari flips F1 aero on its head with radical SF-26 rear wing

Ferrari raised a few eyebrows in the F1 paddock in Bahrain on Thursday by unveiling…

14 hours ago

A promising F1 career sadly gone South

Stephen South, born on this day 74 years ago, once rose through the junior ranks…

16 hours ago