Jonathan Wheatley’s sudden departure from Audi sent shockwaves through the paddock – but the silence from Mattia Binotto only deepened the intrigue. Until now.
When Wheatley walked away from Audi’s nascent Formula 1 project for “personal reasons”, speculation quickly filled the vacuum.
Links to Aston Martin surfaced, while whispers of internal discord refused to fade. Even Nico Hulkenberg claimed that he was caught off guard, learning the news in startling fashion.
Behind the scenes, the team – still evolving from its Sauber identity – was left to steady itself.
On Friday at Suzuka, Binotto broke his silence.
"It has been very fast, very unexpected for the entire team," Binotto told the official F1 website at Suzuka. "It has been really a sudden departure, a sudden change.
"I don't think there is much we can say. He has spoken to our CEO, the board of the team, mentioning that he couldn't commit to the long term for private reasons that we cannot judge or comment on.
©Audi
"We decided as Audi, given that he couldn't commit, to release him from duties. I don't think that as a team we have realised it yet. It was just [last week] and now we are here in Japan and we have a race weekend ahead.
"When such changes are happening, big changes, you certainly first need to realise and to understand the impact and organise yourself."
Looking ahead, Binotto indicated that Audi will need to appoint someone to oversee trackside operations, allowing him to concentrate on factory development as he works toward turning the team into championship contenders by 2030.
"Looking at what his strengths were, the task he was performing - we need to fill the gap," said Binotto. "I can't simply add more and more responsibility and tasks for myself.
"My main focus is at the factory base where we need to transform the team, where we need to develop the car and the powertrain, so I will need someone to support the team here at the race weekend.
Read also:
"We are considering it, we will organise ourselves and I am pretty sure that very soon we can announce it.
"We are focused on the future," he concluded. "Looking back makes no sense, we are fully focused on what's next. We are committed to our objectives.
"We know exactly what's required. Each single individual in the team is really committed and focused. It's a team effort. It's not about individuals, it's a team effort.
"As a team, we know exactly what's required."
For now, the mystery lingers – not about why Wheatley left, but about what comes next.
George Russell has offered a cool-headed response to Max Verstappen’s decision to remain at Red…
Max Verstappen has revealed that his Formula 1 future came perilously close to ending altogether,…
Cadillac has moved swiftly to quash speculation that its fledgling Formula 1 operation could be…
On this day in 2009, Luca Badoer was named as Felipe Massa's replacement by Ferrari,…
Former F1 driver and commentator David Coulthard shared his perspective on why Zandvoort has most…
McLaren heads into the Dutch Grand Prix with momentum firmly on its side, and the…