Daniel Ricciardo and Kevin Magnussen will get the Renault power unit upgrade for the Monaco Grand Prix.

Renault successfully tested its B-spec power unit during the two days of in-season testing at the Circuit de Barcelona-Catalunya last week, leading the French manufacturer to fast-track its introduction. With only one driver from each Renault-powered team - Renault and Red Bull - receiving the new power unit as a result, it has been confirmed both teams will give it to the highest placed driver in the championship.

For Red Bull that is Ricciardo, who currently sits fifth in the drivers' standings, ten points clear of new team-mate and Spanish Grand Prix winner Max Verstappen.

Jolyon Palmer also confirmed team-mate Magnussen would get the upgrade and says he agrees with the policy as the Danish driver also took part in the Barcelona test.

"I'd rather have the new engine, of course," Palmer said. "But I didn't test last week and I'm behind in the championship so I think it's normal that Kevin will get it for this one. I'll get it for next time so I hope it's good."

Chris Medland's 2016 Monaco Grand Prix preview

Jacques Villeneuve - Race of my life

Technical analysis: Barcelona

Keep up to date with all the F1 news via Facebook and Twitter

Andrew Lewin

Andrew first became a fan of Formula 1 during the time when Michael Schumacher and Damon Hill were stepping into the limelight after the era of Alain Prost, Nigel Mansell and Aryton Senna. He's been addicted ever since, and has been writing about the sport now for nearly a quarter of a century for a number of online news sites. He's also written professionally about GP2 (now Formula 2), GP3, IndyCar, World Rally Championship, MotoGP and NASCAR. In his other professional life, Andrew is a freelance writer, social media consultant, web developer/programmer, and digital specialist in the fields of accessibility, usability, IA, online communities and public sector procurement. He worked for many years in magazine production at Bauer Media, and for over a decade he was part of the digital media team at the UK government's communications department. Born and raised in Essex, Andrew currently lives and works in south-west London.

Recent Posts

Haas targets top-10 return in Canada as team unleashes VF-26 upgrade

Read also: Haas is set to roll out a heavily revised VF-26 in Montreal this…

2 hours ago

Mercedes confirms Montreal upgrade: ‘We need to respond’

Toto Wolff has fired a clear warning to Formula 1’s chasing pack ahead of this…

3 hours ago

Schumacher facing challenging Indy 500 debut after qualifying

Mick Schumacher is officially locked into the field for his very first Indianapolis 500, though…

4 hours ago

A Lotus blossoms in Monaco for the very first time

Colin Chapman's Team Lotus entered Grand Prix racing on this day in 1958, fielding a…

6 hours ago

Palou takes stunning Indy 500 pole for Ganassi: ‘I have no words’

Talk about a masterclass in speed! On Sunday at the Brickyard, Chip Ganassi Racing’s Alex…

7 hours ago

Coulthard flags hidden challenge behind Antonelli’s shock title bid

David Coulthard believes Kimi Antonelli’s rapid rise to the top of the Formula 1 world…

8 hours ago