Fiat-Chrysler CEO and Ferrari President Sergio Marchionne says he plans to retire after 2018.

Speaking at the North American International Auto Show in Detroit this week, the 64-year-old

Canadian-Italian who took the reins of Fiat in 2004 and of the merged Fiat-Chrysler entity in 2009, said he had no intention of remaining at the helm of the automotive group beyond 2018.

Marchionne reiterated what he had already said in 2014 when the architect of Fiat's merger with Chrysler said that he would step down after completing a five-year strategic plan to expand the combined carmakers.

"I’ll undoubtedly do something else", Marchionne told Bloomberg.

"I am not going to do any more turnarounds. I’m done; let some of the young punks do it."

There's no doubt that Marchionne, who took over Ferrari from Luca di Montezemolo in 2014, would love to leave on a high, with the Scuderia clinching a world championship under his leadership although that appears to be a tall order right now.

As for who would succeed the manager at Maranello, it is already known that Fiat-Chrysler Chairman John Elkann, 40, will not be a candidate.

GALLERY: F1 drivers' wives and girlfriends

Keep up to date with all the F1 news via Facebook and Twitter

Phillip van Osten

Motor racing was a backdrop from the outset in Phillip van Osten's life. Born in Southern California, Phillip grew up with the sights and sounds of fast cars thanks to his father, Dick van Osten, an editor and writer for Auto Speed and Sport and Motor Trend. Phillip's passion for racing grew even more when his family moved to Europe and he became acquainted with the extraordinary world of Grand Prix racing. He was an early contributor to the monthly French F1i Magazine, often providing a historic or business perspective on Formula 1's affairs. In 2012, he co-authored along with fellow journalist Pierre Van Vliet the English-language adaptation of a limited edition book devoted to the great Belgian driver Jacky Ickx. He also authored "The American Legacy in Formula 1", a book which recounts the trials and tribulations of American drivers in Grand Prix racing. Phillip is also a commentator for Belgian broadcaster Be.TV for the US Indycar series.

Recent Posts

Norris hoping to plug in to Formula E with future track test

Fresh from witnessing the action at last weekend’s Monaco E-Prix, Lando Norris openly admitted that…

28 minutes ago

Honda's target in Montreal: Help drivers ‘build more confidence’

Honda heads into this week’s Canadian Grand Prix carrying both cautious optimism and clear intent,…

2 hours ago

Panis pulls off a stunner in the Principality

If you're going to win just a single Grand Prix in your F1 career, Monaco…

3 hours ago

Indy 500 front-row starter Rossi injured in massive practice crash

Alexander Rossi’s preparations for next weekend’s Indy 500 were thrown into chaos on Monday after…

4 hours ago

Ford elaborates on F1’s potential V8 future: ‘We love the idea’

Formula 1’s next great engine debate is no longer happening in whispers behind factory doors.…

5 hours ago

Why F1 bosses are rejecting Hamilton’s ‘seat at the table’ appeal

Lewis Hamilton has urged the FIA and Formula 1 to give drivers a formal “seat…

7 hours ago