Losing Monza 'would rip heart out of F1'

A thrilling atmosphere at Monza on Sunday was lauded by the winning drivers, with Sebastian Vettel insisting F1 can't afford to lose the Italian GP.

"The emotion on the podium is incredible," said Vettel, after finishing in second place in his first appearance at Monza as a Ferrari driver.

The future of the Italian Grand Prix at the historic Autodromo Nazionale Monza, which has hosted a Formula 1 race in every year bar once since the championship began, is currently in doubt - but Vettel insisted that it simply must be retained on the calendar.

"If we take this away from the calendar for any shitty money reasons I think you are basically ripping our hearts out," he stated.

"We are here, we are racing and this makes it so much more worthwhile. It’s what we’re here for. You stand on the grid, you look to the left, you look to the right, people are just happy to be part of it and it makes our day.

"Simple as that. It’s incredible. So, thanks for this emotion on behalf of all the Ferrari team. Thank you."

His passionate feelings about needing to retain Monza were shared by the race winner, Mercedes' Lewis Hamilton.

"This circuit is such a special one," Hamilton said. "I think it’s the same for all the drivers. When you stand on top of that podium you feel incredible pride and incredibly proud to be amongst the greats that have stood up there.

"This is one of the best tracks in the world. This has to stay here for moral reasons.

"All those fans out there who come every single year. Are you going to take this Grand Prix away from us and put on another one? That would not have the same feeling, or would not have the special impact so we definitely have to keep this."

Hamilton cruises to dominant Monza victory

2016 F1 driver line-ups so far

F1 drivers' girlfriends gallery

Keep up to date with all the F1 news via Facebook and Twitter

Andrew Lewin

Andrew first became a fan of Formula 1 during the time when Michael Schumacher and Damon Hill were stepping into the limelight after the era of Alain Prost, Nigel Mansell and Aryton Senna. He's been addicted ever since, and has been writing about the sport now for nearly a quarter of a century for a number of online news sites. He's also written professionally about GP2 (now Formula 2), GP3, IndyCar, World Rally Championship, MotoGP and NASCAR. In his other professional life, Andrew is a freelance writer, social media consultant, web developer/programmer, and digital specialist in the fields of accessibility, usability, IA, online communities and public sector procurement. He worked for many years in magazine production at Bauer Media, and for over a decade he was part of the digital media team at the UK government's communications department. Born and raised in Essex, Andrew currently lives and works in south-west London.

Recent Posts

Sainz ends Williams uncertainty with multi-year contract extension

Williams has moved decisively to end the uncertainty over Carlos Sainz’s future, confirming that the…

48 minutes ago

Confirmed: Hadjar out, Lawson in at Red Bull for Dutch GP

Red Bull has confirmed that Isack Hadjar will miss this weekend’s Dutch Grand Prix after…

2 hours ago

Honda facing ‘important milestone’ as new PU debuts at Dutch GP

Honda is ready to give Aston Martin another reason for optimism at Zandvoort, with its…

3 hours ago

Albon explains why he backs Williams: 'We needed this tough year'

Alex Albon says he’s chosen belief over frustration in his decision to commit his future…

5 hours ago

Horner set for UK book tour to promote highly anticipated memoir

Christian Horner will be on tour this autumn. But fortunately for Formula 1 fans, however,…

6 hours ago

Hadjar reportedly ruled out of Dutch GP after sustaining injury!

Red Bull has reportedly been plunged into a late and potentially dramatic driver reshuffle ahead…

8 hours ago