Daniel Ricciardo and Daniil Kvyat managed to overcome huge engine change penalties and finish Monza with both cars in the points.

The Italian GP was never going to be a stand-out race for Red Bull after the team managed to incur a combined penalty of 85 grid places for their two drivers, and in the circumstances the team was more than happy to see both cars finish the race successfully and in the top ten.

“It was a great result for the team considering where we started and the characteristics of this track," said Daniel Ricciardo, who started the race from 19th place on the grid but battled his way up to eighth by the finish.

"It was sweet taking that eighth place on the last lap from Ericsson," grinned the Australian. "It wasn’t an easy weekend for us, but I think the race was positive and the energy in the team is good.

"I am very happy with the chassis, the car was handling really well, and we were able to fight with a Ferrari and a Mercedes-powered car on a track where we lost out a lot on the straights," he pointed out.

Team mate Daniil Kvyat was also happy to get Monza in the books and move on to the next race in Singapore, which should better suit the RB11 and where he won't have to overcome the avalanche of penalties that left him starting Sunday's race down in 18th position.

"Monza was always going to be a tough weekend for us," he said after finishing in tenth place. "Our race wasn’t too bad considering where we started on the track, because of our penalties.

"I didn’t see much action during the race but it was a positive result to finish in the points, down to good teamwork.

"We’ll have to come back stronger in Singapore, where the track characteristics should suit us better."

Hamilton cruises to dominant Monza victory

2016 F1 driver line-ups so far

F1 drivers' girlfriends gallery

Keep up to date with all the F1 news via Facebook and Twitter

Andrew Lewin

Andrew first became a fan of Formula 1 during the time when Michael Schumacher and Damon Hill were stepping into the limelight after the era of Alain Prost, Nigel Mansell and Aryton Senna. He's been addicted ever since, and has been writing about the sport now for nearly a quarter of a century for a number of online news sites. He's also written professionally about GP2 (now Formula 2), GP3, IndyCar, World Rally Championship, MotoGP and NASCAR. In his other professional life, Andrew is a freelance writer, social media consultant, web developer/programmer, and digital specialist in the fields of accessibility, usability, IA, online communities and public sector procurement. He worked for many years in magazine production at Bauer Media, and for over a decade he was part of the digital media team at the UK government's communications department. Born and raised in Essex, Andrew currently lives and works in south-west London.

Recent Posts

Sainz ends Williams uncertainty with multi-year contract extension

Williams has moved decisively to end the uncertainty over Carlos Sainz’s future, confirming that the…

25 minutes ago

Confirmed: Hadjar out, Lawson in at Red Bull for Dutch GP

Red Bull has confirmed that Isack Hadjar will miss this weekend’s Dutch Grand Prix after…

2 hours ago

Honda facing ‘important milestone’ as new PU debuts at Dutch GP

Honda is ready to give Aston Martin another reason for optimism at Zandvoort, with its…

3 hours ago

Albon explains why he backs Williams: 'We needed this tough year'

Alex Albon says he’s chosen belief over frustration in his decision to commit his future…

4 hours ago

Horner set for UK book tour to promote highly anticipated memoir

Christian Horner will be on tour this autumn. But fortunately for Formula 1 fans, however,…

6 hours ago

Hadjar reportedly ruled out of Dutch GP after sustaining injury!

Red Bull has reportedly been plunged into a late and potentially dramatic driver reshuffle ahead…

8 hours ago