Manor team principal John Booth says Roberto Merhi will return to compete in the Russian and Abu Dhabi Grands Prix, as successor Alexander Rossi focusses on his GP2 Series title bid.
The Spaniard made his F1 debut with the British squad in Australia, although he had to wait until Sepang to actually turn a wheel in anger following Manor’s no-show at Melbourne.
Merhi’s initial contract was believed to encompass only the first four flyaways, but then evolved into a race-by-race deal. The 24-year-old managed to keep his seat up until Manor announced Rossi would replace him at Singapore this weekend.
“We are pleased to support [Rossi]’s current GP2 commitments while he continues to battle for the championship win,” said Booth. “Therefore he will race in five of the seven remaining Grands Prix this season, with Roberto [Merhi] contesting Russia and Abu Dhabi for us.
“While Roberto is obviously disappointed, he understands that this decision is in the long-term interests of the team and we thank him for his professionalism. No decision has been made regarding our 2016 driver line-up and we will continue to evaluate our options during the remainder of the season.”
When not in action, Merhi will step down to a reserve driver role alongside 2013 GP2 Series champion Fabio Leimer. Prior to his replacement, Merhi had been dovetailing his Manor F1 drive with a Formula Renault 3.5 Series campaign at Pons Racing, though he had recently decided to call time on the latter programme.
Chris Medland's Singapore Grand Prix preview
2016 F1 driver line-ups so far
Click here for some of the most memorable crashes at Singapore
Keep up to date with all the F1 news via Facebook and Twitter
Stephen South, born on this day 74 years ago, once rose through the junior ranks…
Lando Norris set the pace in Thursday’s first session in Bahrain pre-season test, putting McLaren…
The FIA has chosen to trial in Bahrain a new Formula 1 start procedure –…
Sebastian Vettel may have retired from Formula 1, but the four-time world champion is clearly…
Fernando Alonso has insisted that Aston Martin’s troubled new-generation AMR26 can be fixed, but warned…
Red Bull team principal Laurent Mekies has forcefully brushed aside fears that Max Verstappen could…