Rosberg expects three-way fight for Singapore win

At the end of a competitive opening day of free practice for the Singapore Grand Prix, Nico Rosberg says he expects a three-way fight between Mercedes, Red Bull, and Ferrari at Marina Bay Circuit.

The German set the pace in FP1, but had to settle for P7 in the late evening session where the defending champions came under pressure from several rivals. Team-mate Lewis Hamilton could only log the fourth fastest time behind the leading trio of Daniil Kvyat, Kimi Raikkonen, and Daniel Ricciardo, while Force India’s Sergio Perez beat Rosberg to sixth.

Asked whether Mercedes had suffered a bad Friday or the others had caught up, the championship runner-up replied: “I think it’s a bit of both, we didn’t do a good job today and the others have been pretty quick today. So it’s both coming together.”

“I went the wrong way [with the setup], but I learned a lot and we will be OK to get it right for tomorrow.

“It looks like it’s going to be Ferrari, Red Bull and us in a battle.”

Perhaps more worrying for Mercedes is the RB11 looking quite strong in terms of tyre degradation on high-fuel runs. Rosberg admits this is an area where he and his team must improve ahead of Sunday’s grand prix.

“Tyre wear is quite high so it’s difficult to do a two-stop. That’s going to be the key to the race so that’s what we need to work on tonight as well.”

AS IT HAPPENED: Singapore Grand Prix FP2

2016 F1 driver line-ups so far

Click here for some of the most memorable crashes at Singapore

Keep up to date with all the F1 news via Facebook and Twitter

Julien Billiotte

Recent Posts

Verstappen says retirement was closer than joining rival F1team

Max Verstappen has revealed that his Formula 1 future came perilously close to ending altogether,…

1 hour ago

Cadillac F1 quash sale rumours amid TWG investigation

Cadillac has moved swiftly to quash speculation that its fledgling Formula 1 operation could be…

3 hours ago

One Ferrari driver's dream that turned into a nightmare

On this day in 2009, Luca Badoer was named as Felipe Massa's replacement by Ferrari,…

4 hours ago

Coulthard predicts permanent F1 farewell for Zandvoort

Former F1 driver and commentator David Coulthard shared his perspective on why Zandvoort has most…

5 hours ago

McLaren unleash another MCL40 upgrade blitz at Dutch GP

McLaren heads into the Dutch Grand Prix with momentum firmly on its side, and the…

6 hours ago

Verstappen settles F1 future, extends Red Bull deal until 2030!

Max Verstappen has finally put to rest the speculation surrounding his Red Bull future, committing…

7 hours ago