F1 News, Reports and Race Results

Wehrlein: 'I didn't have the experience for Mercedes'

Pascal Wehrlein has conceded that he just didn't have the experience required to justify him succeeding Nico Rosberg at Mercedes.

"I knew I was one of the candidates, one of the possible drivers," said Wehrlein in an interview with Motorsport.com this week. "But one year of experience is not enough, it was quite clear.

Wehrlein said that the situation had been explained to him personally by the head of the Mercedes F1 team Toto Wolff.

“That is what he said," Wehrlein recalled. "He said, ‘We think it would be good for you to have more experience. One year was not enough. Especially in the second year, drivers are always making big progress.'

"I think Mercedes wants to have a ready driver and a perfect driver, who is at his limit.

"At the moment I am not on my limit where I could be, because of the experience, and that is quite clear."

The 22-year-old won the 2015 DTM championship with Mercedes before switching to Formula One. He spent a year with Manor, and this season will race for Sauber.

Even though he can see the logic of Wolff's decision, Wehrlein said that he certainly wouldn't have turned down the opportunity if he'd been asked.

“If the chance is there, you have to take it,” he said. “I think it was not too much. Of course with one year of experience you are not at your limit and you will do some mistakes.

"If you have five years of experience in F1 or even more, you know, the mistakes – they will be a lot less than with one year," he added.

GALLERY: F1 drivers' wives and girlfriends

Keep up to date with all the F1 news via Facebook and Twitter

Andrew Lewin

Andrew first became a fan of Formula 1 during the time when Michael Schumacher and Damon Hill were stepping into the limelight after the era of Alain Prost, Nigel Mansell and Aryton Senna. He's been addicted ever since, and has been writing about the sport now for nearly a quarter of a century for a number of online news sites. He's also written professionally about GP2 (now Formula 2), GP3, IndyCar, World Rally Championship, MotoGP and NASCAR. In his other professional life, Andrew is a freelance writer, social media consultant, web developer/programmer, and digital specialist in the fields of accessibility, usability, IA, online communities and public sector procurement. He worked for many years in magazine production at Bauer Media, and for over a decade he was part of the digital media team at the UK government's communications department. Born and raised in Essex, Andrew currently lives and works in south-west London.

Recent Posts

Dutch GP: Saturday's action in pictures

Lando Norris delivered a strong performance in Saturday’s qualifying at Zandvoort, the McLaren heading the…

1 hour ago

Leclerc insists Ferrari ‘have got to work’ on SF-26’s qualifying pace

Charles Leclerc has no complaints about Ferrari’s race-day strength. The problem is getting the SF-25…

2 hours ago

Antonelli reckons Turn 1 mistake cost him shot at Dutch GP pole

Kimi Antonelli was left wondering what might have been after a costly Turn 1 mistake…

2 hours ago

Norris credits ‘big balls’ for fearless Dutch GP pole lap

Lando Norris produced the sort of qualifying lap that leaves little room for modesty –…

3 hours ago

Wolff admits Mercedes-Verstappen hook up now a long shot

With Mercedes locking down George Russell and Kimi Antonelli through 2027, and Red Bull securing…

3 hours ago

Dutch GP: Norris beats Mercedes drivers to Zandvoort pole

Lando Norris snatched pole position for the Dutch Grand Prix with a late qualifying charge…

4 hours ago