X (Twitter)X (Twitter)
FacebookFacebook
WhatsappWhatsapp

Jenson Button's one-off return to F1 yielded an impressive P9 in qualifying this afternoon, with the Brit proving that he still very much has what it takes to race at the highest level.

Button however will start his day tomorrow from last on the grid following a 15-place grid penalty linked to engine component changes.

It's a frustrating state of affairs but one which took nothing away from the pleasure he enjoyed Saturday afternoon.

"It was a lot of fun out there," he said.

"t's always that thing, you get to a certain point and then it's the fine tuning. These tyres are completely different to last year's tyres in terms of getting them working and what have you and what goes away and how long it lasts.

"It's been quite tricky today working on the last bit, the last couple of percent. I've enjoyed it."

Button's quick adaption to McLaren's new-spec MCL32 was impressive, but the 2009 world champion insisted it was a big trip into the unknown.

"Getting back into a qualifying session is awesome, but as I say, suddenly it is a big learning curve. Practice is fine, you run through your programmes, and I'm sure the race will be fine.

"But when it's qualifying and that little fine tuning with the balance of the car, I said to the team I'm not sure what's going to happen to the car through qualifying, are we going to get more grip at the front, are we going to get less?

"I don't know where the balance is going to go with these tyres and with these cars. But it was alright. Q3 wasn't very good but Q1 and Q2 were.

"I'm happy. My one and only race this year, I qualified ninth and start 20th!"

But perhaps the real takeaway from Button's assessment was his admittance that he had ran his very last qualifying session in F1, putting to rest any speculation about a full-time return to the sport.

"I've enjoyed the weekend a lot and the team has been fantastic. It's my last qualifying session, and probably one of my most enjoyable. I mean that.

"I haven't missed Formula 1, because I've had such a good six months."

 

“Want to win a trackday experience? All you have to do is subscribe to our FREE newsletter HERE”

GALLERY: All the action from Monaco

Keep up to date with all the F1 news via Facebook and Twitter

 

Phillip van Osten

Motor racing was a backdrop from the outset in Phillip van Osten's life. Born in Southern California, Phillip grew up with the sights and sounds of fast cars thanks to his father, Dick van Osten, an editor and writer for Auto Speed and Sport and Motor Trend. Phillip's passion for racing grew even more when his family moved to Europe and he became acquainted with the extraordinary world of Grand Prix racing. He was an early contributor to the monthly French F1i Magazine, often providing a historic or business perspective on Formula 1's affairs. In 2012, he co-authored along with fellow journalist Pierre Van Vliet the English-language adaptation of a limited edition book devoted to the great Belgian driver Jacky Ickx. He also authored "The American Legacy in Formula 1", a book which recounts the trials and tribulations of American drivers in Grand Prix racing. Phillip is also a commentator for Belgian broadcaster Be.TV for the US Indycar series.

Recent Posts

A historic first, and last, for Andretti at Long Beach

Mario Andretti won the 1977 US Grand Prix West at Long Beach on this day…

54 mins ago

Hamilton calls doubts over faith in Ferrari ‘complete rubbish’

Lewis Hamilton has forcefully dismissed suggestions that he’s losing faith in Ferrari, calling such claims…

2 hours ago

Verstappen: Red Bull’s ‘main issue’ is the car, not the drivers

Max Verstappen has defended the efforts of his now former Red Bull teammate Liam Lawson,…

3 hours ago

Leclerc: Ferrari China DSQ a painful lesson in ‘playing with the limit'

Charles Leclerc believes that Ferrari’s double disqualification from the Chinese Grand Prix was a painful…

4 hours ago

Tsunoda: Marko radio silence since Red Bull switch ‘very unusual’

Yuki Tsunoda has revealed that he has yet to hear from Red Bull motorsport advisor…

5 hours ago

Sainz admits old Ferrari driving habits holding him back at Williams

Carlos Sainz has acknowledged that his transition to Williams from Ferrari has brought unexpected complications,…

6 hours ago