Button convinced of signs of progress at McLaren

Jenson Button is convinced that McLaren and engine providers Honda can turn around their troubled fortunes within the next year.

"I see improvements and I feel over the winter there’ll be a big gain," Button told Auto Express at the Esso Synergy Fuels launch in London on Wednesday night, shortly after being publicly confirmed as staying at McLaren for another season alongside Fernando Alonso.

"There’s still a lot of work we need to do next year to be competitive, but it’s definitely going in the right direction," Button said. "The output we have now is beyond what we had last year, so Honda are doing a good job.

"I’ve had times this year in qualifying where I feel I’ve had a great lap, like Spa," he added. "Obviously the performance wasn’t there in terms of outright pace, but the feeling of the car was very good.

"We don’t have the same power output as the top guys at the moment, but it’s a very young project still. We’re a couple of years behind in terms of development.

"It’s very difficult to compare ourselves with people who have so much more experience with this power unit," he pointed out. "It’s not a straightforward V8 like we had before, it’s so complicated with the electric motors and so on.

"We want to be succeeding and we want to be at the front, but every race we come to, there’s something new.

"Honda are always improving and working flat out," he insisted. "I’ve spent a lot of time talking with the team and there’s very good direction there, so I have a good feeling for the future."

Alex Lynn F1i exclusive: Staying grounded in pursuit of the dream

F1i technical expert Nicolas Carpentiers takes us through exclusive pictures of Renault's power unit

Who said that? Lauda. I SAID, WHO SAID THAT?

Keep up to date with all the F1 news via Facebook and Twitter

Andrew Lewin

Andrew first became a fan of Formula 1 during the time when Michael Schumacher and Damon Hill were stepping into the limelight after the era of Alain Prost, Nigel Mansell and Aryton Senna. He's been addicted ever since, and has been writing about the sport now for nearly a quarter of a century for a number of online news sites. He's also written professionally about GP2 (now Formula 2), GP3, IndyCar, World Rally Championship, MotoGP and NASCAR. In his other professional life, Andrew is a freelance writer, social media consultant, web developer/programmer, and digital specialist in the fields of accessibility, usability, IA, online communities and public sector procurement. He worked for many years in magazine production at Bauer Media, and for over a decade he was part of the digital media team at the UK government's communications department. Born and raised in Essex, Andrew currently lives and works in south-west London.

Recent Posts

Stella names rivals ‘a step ahead’ of McLaren after Bahrain

McLaren arrived in Bahrain for pre-season testing determined to defend its status as Formula 1’s…

22 mins ago

Hulkenberg says Audi’s rivals haven't 'pulled their pants down' yet

Nico Hulkenberg has given F1 fans a vivid image to ponder ahead of the 2026…

2 hours ago

Total mileage and fastest laps from F1 pre-season testing

Under the pale winter sun of Barcelona and the desert glare of Bahrain, George Russell…

4 hours ago

Remembering the man who conquered F1's most thrilling win

Peter Gethin, the man who secured perhaps the most thrilling win ever witnessed in Grand…

5 hours ago

Aston Martin’s nightmare: Honda owns up to power unit meltdown

Aston Martin engine supplier Honda has publicly conceded what the timing screens in Bahrain had…

6 hours ago

Piastri explains management shake-up ahead of 2026 F1 season

As the countdown to 2026 gathers pace, Oscar Piastri has reshuffled his inner circle –…

7 hours ago