F1 News, Reports and Race Results

French GP organisers plan for reduced attendance

Organisers of next year's French Grand Prix say that they are targeting a race day attendance of around 70,000.

It's the first time in ten years that the event has been on the Formula 1 calendar. And not since 1990 has the French Grand Prix been held at the Circuit Paul Ricard.

The circuit, located in southern France, could reportedly hold up to 90,000 fans. But commercial director Aurelie Letellier told Reuters that they were worried about congestion.

“We are confident we can have a big capacity but we are also being very humble,” she said. Race day access and traffic have previously been a weak point for the 5.861km (3.642-mile) circuit.

The race's promoters say they are working on improving the infrastructure at the venue, previously owned by former F1 supremo Bernie Ecclestone.

“We are pretty confident we are going to find creative solutions to make the access easier,” Letellier insisted. "There are challenges. But we are working on solutions and creative ways to get around them."

The last time that the French Grand Prix was held, it was staged at the Magny-Cours circuit in the centre of the country. The last F1 race held there in 2008 drew a race day crowd of 78,000.

Next year's race will be held on June 24 and will be the first of a 'triple header' followed in successive weeks by events in Austria and Britain.

Letellier said that the race would be an example of the change in direction and emphasis sought by the sport's new owners, Liberty Media.

”We are really in line with what Formula 1 management wants to do," he said. "It’s not just a car race any more,“ she said.

”We want to spread our event across four days, starting with Thursday and going through to Sunday with different activities."

Silverstone adopted a similar approach to this year's British Grand Prix.

She added that the race was returning to the calendar at the right time and with "just the right momentum" given the French talent involved in Formula 1.

French manufacturer Renault will be taking part, and the driver line-up currently includes Romain Grosjean at Haas and Esteban Ocon at Force India.

Gallery: The beautiful wives and girlfriends of F1

Keep up to date with all the F1 news via Facebook and Twitter

Andrew Lewin

Andrew first became a fan of Formula 1 during the time when Michael Schumacher and Damon Hill were stepping into the limelight after the era of Alain Prost, Nigel Mansell and Aryton Senna. He's been addicted ever since, and has been writing about the sport now for nearly a quarter of a century for a number of online news sites. He's also written professionally about GP2 (now Formula 2), GP3, IndyCar, World Rally Championship, MotoGP and NASCAR. In his other professional life, Andrew is a freelance writer, social media consultant, web developer/programmer, and digital specialist in the fields of accessibility, usability, IA, online communities and public sector procurement. He worked for many years in magazine production at Bauer Media, and for over a decade he was part of the digital media team at the UK government's communications department. Born and raised in Essex, Andrew currently lives and works in south-west London.

Recent Posts

Stella names rivals ‘a step ahead’ of McLaren after Bahrain

McLaren arrived in Bahrain for pre-season testing determined to defend its status as Formula 1’s…

2 hours ago

Hulkenberg says Audi’s rivals haven't 'pulled their pants down' yet

Nico Hulkenberg has given F1 fans a vivid image to ponder ahead of the 2026…

4 hours ago

Total mileage and fastest laps from F1 pre-season testing

Under the pale winter sun of Barcelona and the desert glare of Bahrain, George Russell…

6 hours ago

Remembering the man who conquered F1's most thrilling win

Peter Gethin, the man who secured perhaps the most thrilling win ever witnessed in Grand…

7 hours ago

Aston Martin’s nightmare: Honda owns up to power unit meltdown

Aston Martin engine supplier Honda has publicly conceded what the timing screens in Bahrain had…

8 hours ago

Piastri explains management shake-up ahead of 2026 F1 season

As the countdown to 2026 gathers pace, Oscar Piastri has reshuffled his inner circle –…

9 hours ago