F1 News, Reports and Race Results

ACI boss puts Monza's future in doubt once again

Uncertainly surrounds once again the future of the Italian Grand Prix at Monza according to the historic venue's boss, Angelo Sticchi Damiani.

Formula 1's oldest circuit and most long-standing race agreed to a three-year deal with Bernie Ecclestone back in 2016 following lengthy negotiations.

While the race is firmly set on the 2018 calendar, Automobile Club of Milan president Damiani says there are no guarantees continuity will be ensured. Formula 1 however isn't the cause of the worries.

"If conditions change we can no longer guarantee the future of the Grand Prix at Monza," the president of the Automobile Club of Milan, which owns the track, told La Gazzetta dello Sport.

Damiani referenced the Italian government's recent failure to approve an amendment to its 2018 Budget Law. A state of affairs which could lead to restrictions of the rules governing public finance at a time when Monza would require investment to keep up with Formula 1's demands.

"We do not cost the state a euro and do not ask for anything, but at least do not hinder us," said Damiani.

"For the 100-year anniversary in 2022, it's only right that the circuit must be adapted."

Like the other 20 race promoters, Monza's representatives attended a key meeting in London last week with Liberty Media, from which Damiani emerged somewhat downbeat.

"What I noticed was a general suffering," said Damiani.

"On the part of Liberty it is because a monstrous investment has been made and now there must be a return.

"And also with the teams, who have even higher costs, and us as organisers who are strangled," he added.

Gallery: The beautiful wives and girlfriends of F1 drivers

Keep up to date with all the F1 news via Facebook and Twitter

 

Michael Delaney

Recent Posts

Alonso singles out new Honda power unit for Sprint Qualifying miss

Fernando Alonso arrived at Zandvoort hoping Honda’s much-anticipated new power unit would help Aston Martin…

43 minutes ago

Antonelli says early off compromised Sprint qualifying pace

Kimi Antonelli emerged from Friday’s Sprint qualifying only 0.227 seconds off Mercedes team-mate George Russell’s…

2 hours ago

Dutch GP: Friday's action in pictures

Mercedes stole a march on its rivals along the shores of the North Sea on…

2 hours ago

Dutch GP: Russell snatches pole for Zandvoort Sprint

George Russell produced a late surge to claim pole position for Saturday’s Dutch Grand Prix…

3 hours ago

Dutch Grand Prix - Sprint qualifying results

Full results from Sprint qualifying for the Dutch Grand Prix in Zandvoort, round 12 of…

3 hours ago

Tech F1i: A look at the F1 teams' array of upgrades at Zandvoort

Formula 1 returns from its summer break with the competitive order still finely poised, and…

4 hours ago