F1 News, Reports and Race Results

FIA changes its stance on Magnussen blocking move in Japan

In a rare case of calling into question one of its own decisions, the FIA has changed its position on the blocking incident that involved Kevin Magnussen and Charles Leclerc in Suzuka.

The Haas and Sauber drivers were locked in a battle for position when Magnussen moved to the right to block Leclerc from attempting a pass, which led to a contact between the two cars, damage and ultimately to the Dane’s retirement.

The stewards initially ruled that the skirmish had been a racing incident, a view initially supported by F1 race director Charlie Whiting.

In Austin however, during the drivers’ briefing, Whiting revisited the incident and revised his position, stating that Magnussen had effectively moved too late.

“Charlie told us that he agreed that Magnussen probably moved a little bit too late,” Sergio Perez told Motorsport.com.

“I think he moved just a little bit too late, given the speed differences, but it’s always a bit difficult with these mirrors as well to see the difference in speed.”

Whiting clarified for drivers once again the rules regarding defensive moves. Perez’s team mate Esteban Ocon revealed that Magnussen recognized that his move had come too late.

“They said that Kevin did move too late, definitely, and it was not very safe. So probably things are going to change,” said the Frenchman.

“I’ve seen it, and I was the same in Sochi [when Magnussen and Ocon were racing each other], and we touched as well. Everybody agreed. Kevin agreed he was too late, he said it to Charlie.”

Gallery: The beautiful wives and girlfriends of F1 drivers

Keep up to date with all the F1 news via Facebook and Twitter

Michael Delaney

Recent Posts

Is McLaren’s edge slipping? Norris drops subtle warning

Reigning Formula 1 world champion Lando Norris has warned that McLaren’s 2026 challenger may not…

4 hours ago

Bahrain F1 testing: Day 5 in pictures

Thursday’s action at the Bahrain International Circuit delivered plenty of eye-catching moments as pre-season preparations…

5 hours ago

Bahrain F1 test: Antonelli and Mercedes fastest on Day 5

Mercedes continued to set the pace on Thursday at the Bahrain International Circuit, with Kimi…

6 hours ago

Wolff hits back at F1 compression ratio controversy: ‘Utter bullshit’

Toto Wolff has dismissed Formula 1’s escalating compression ratio controversy as “a storm in a…

7 hours ago

Ferrari flips F1 aero on its head with radical SF-26 rear wing

Ferrari raised a few eyebrows in the F1 paddock in Bahrain on Thursday by unveiling…

9 hours ago

A promising F1 career sadly gone South

Stephen South, born on this day 74 years ago, once rose through the junior ranks…

10 hours ago