F1 News, Reports and Race Results

'We could have gone even quicker', insists Raikkonen

Kimi Raikkonen reckons that an improving Alfa Romeo could realistically have laid claim to a second row starting position for Sunday's German Grand Prix.

In part that's thanks to technical issues sidelining both Ferraris, but it's also down to some genuine pace for the Finn throughout qualifying.

He was in the top six in both Q1 and Q2, and when it came to the final top ten pole shoot-out he was able to once again reproduce the same sort of pace to put him into fifth place on the grid, just 0.016s off Red Bull's Pierre Gasly.

"Qualifying in fifth makes me happy," said the 39-year-old veteran. "The car has been pretty good today and I think we could have been a bit faster in Q3.

"Maybe fourth place was within reach, but that’s racing," he added.

"We made a few gains through other people’s misfortunes, but in the end we still had to put in the laps when it counted - and we did!"

Not that Raikkonen would ever get carried away by success on Saturday, when it's the race itself that really counts.

"It’s only qualifying, the race is tomorrow," he stated. "It’s very difficult to read into our race pace from yesterday as the conditions have changed a lot and could be even different tomorrow.

"We have to see if the rain comes and figure out the weather the best we can," he acknowledged. "It will be hard to race against the big teams.

"We’ll just take today’s result as it is, give everything tomorrow and see where we end up.”

"We have looked competitive all weekend so far and we are pleased with today’s result," Alfa Romeo team principal Frédéric Vasseur concurred. "Kimi looked quick from Q1 and delivered a good lap in his only attempt in Q3.

"Placing a car on the third row is a positive result but points are not given on Saturday, so we still need to focus on our job."

Raikkonen's team mate Antonio Giovinazzi managed to put in a late push lap in Q1 to escape early elimination. However he then missed the cut at the end of the second round by just one hundredth of a second, meaning he will start tomorrow's race from 11th place on the grid.

"It was a bit frustrating to miss out on Q3 for just a hundredth of a second," the Italian lamented. "But tomorrow is the important day and I am confident we can get to the points.

"Having both cars in the top ten is the objective but the key is to continue moving forward," he said. "We wanted more, but if we have a good start and a good strategy we can be in that fight.

"Nobody can predict what weather we’ll have tomorrow and if it starts to rain anything can happen.

Gallery: The beautiful wives and girlfriends of F1 drivers

Keep up to date with all the F1 news via Facebook and Twitter

Andrew Lewin

Andrew first became a fan of Formula 1 during the time when Michael Schumacher and Damon Hill were stepping into the limelight after the era of Alain Prost, Nigel Mansell and Aryton Senna. He's been addicted ever since, and has been writing about the sport now for nearly a quarter of a century for a number of online news sites. He's also written professionally about GP2 (now Formula 2), GP3, IndyCar, World Rally Championship, MotoGP and NASCAR. In his other professional life, Andrew is a freelance writer, social media consultant, web developer/programmer, and digital specialist in the fields of accessibility, usability, IA, online communities and public sector procurement. He worked for many years in magazine production at Bauer Media, and for over a decade he was part of the digital media team at the UK government's communications department. Born and raised in Essex, Andrew currently lives and works in south-west London.

Recent Posts

Aston Martin F1 sells minor stake to billionaire Woody Johnson

Aston Martin F1 has added a high-profile new investor to its rostrum of shareholders, with…

11 hours ago

Dutch GP: Thursday's media in pictures

Formula 1 roars back into action this weekend as the summer break gives way to…

12 hours ago

Gasly praises Verstappen’s manager for achieving ‘nice pay rise’

Pierre Gasly has offered a mischievous glimpse behind the curtain of Max Verstappen’s new Red…

12 hours ago

Russell says Mercedes seat ‘never under threat’ by Verstappen

George Russell has offered a cool-headed response to Max Verstappen’s decision to remain at Red…

13 hours ago

Verstappen says retirement was closer than joining rival F1 team

Max Verstappen has revealed that his Formula 1 future came perilously close to ending altogether,…

15 hours ago

Cadillac F1 quash sale rumours amid TWG investigation

Cadillac has moved swiftly to quash speculation that its fledgling Formula 1 operation could be…

16 hours ago