F1 News, Reports and Race Results

Sainz enjoying renewed relationship with Key at McLaren

Carlos Sainz says he's enjoying his renewed relationship with James Key at McLaren, insisting the team's new technical director has done a great job settling in at Woking.

Key, who was credited for transforming Toro Rosso into a leading midfield contender in recent years, was poached from the junior Red Bull squad last year, but only joined McLaren last March after the Australian Grand Prix.

Sainz is well acquainted with the 47-year-old engineer, having worked alongside the Briton during his formative years in F1 with Toro Rosso.

But the Spaniard is impressed with what he's seen and heard so far from McLaren's tech chief.

"I had a meeting with him in Singapore, we were chatting a lot about next year, and this year's car," Sainz said.

"I shared some opinions on all the cars that I've driven in Formula 1 - his cars, the Renault and this McLaren.

"I honestly enjoy it a lot with James, he is doing a great job. Obviously time will tell, but I think he is going to do a good job at McLaren."

©McLaren

Key obviously had no input into the design of McLaren's 2019 contender, but he has overseen part of the car's development, and Sainz casts a positive outlook on the future of the pair's collaboration.

"He knows [what I like] and I know him very well by now," he added.

"I find him very easy going and very straightforward, so up until now, it's working well. It is [exciting] when you meet friends and colleagues in a new team, it's a whole new experience.

"An experienced driver driving to help the team as much as possible, him being the new technical director trying to help the team is actually a nice challenge that I'm enjoying."

Gallery: The beautiful wives and girlfriends of F1 drivers

Keep up to date with all the F1 news via Facebook and Twitter

Phillip van Osten

Motor racing was a backdrop from the outset in Phillip van Osten's life. Born in Southern California, Phillip grew up with the sights and sounds of fast cars thanks to his father, Dick van Osten, an editor and writer for Auto Speed and Sport and Motor Trend. Phillip's passion for racing grew even more when his family moved to Europe and he became acquainted with the extraordinary world of Grand Prix racing. He was an early contributor to the monthly French F1i Magazine, often providing a historic or business perspective on Formula 1's affairs. In 2012, he co-authored along with fellow journalist Pierre Van Vliet the English-language adaptation of a limited edition book devoted to the great Belgian driver Jacky Ickx. He also authored "The American Legacy in Formula 1", a book which recounts the trials and tribulations of American drivers in Grand Prix racing. Phillip is also a commentator for Belgian broadcaster Be.TV for the US Indycar series.

Recent Posts

Mekies has ‘zero concern’ over Verstappen losing interest in F1

Red Bull team principal Laurent Mekies has forcefully brushed aside fears that Max Verstappen could…

3 hours ago

Bahrain F1 testing: Day 4 in pictures

F1 teams returned to the grind on Wednesday in Bahrain for the sport’s final three…

4 hours ago

Bahrain F1 test: Russell puts Mercedes on top on Day 4

George Russell stamped his authority on Wednesday’s action in Bahrain, powering Mercedes to the top…

5 hours ago

Formula 1 manufacturers set for crucial compression ratio vote

A simmering technical row in Formula 1 is hurtling toward a decisive moment, as the…

6 hours ago

Hamilton feels connected to Ferrari's SF-26: ‘My DNA is in this car’

Ferrari’s garage is buzzing with a renewed sense of purpose, and for the first time…

7 hours ago

The extraordinary legacy of Enzo Ferrari lives on

Ferrari's performance at the pinnacle of motorsport ebbs and flows, but the House Of Maranello…

9 hours ago