I thought about quitting after 2015 – Button

Jenson Button confesses that he gave retirement from Formula One some serious thought before being confirmed at McLaren-Honda for 2016.

The Briton had already had to wait until December 2014 to find out whether he or former team-mate Kevin Magnussen would partner the returning Fernando Alonso at Woking this year. The two world champions eventually endured a torrid campaign, as Honda’s recurrent engine woes stymied their progress.

While Alonso’s three-year contract was well documented, Button’s future was more uncertain and quickly turned into a much talked about topic over the summer.

Multiple reports in the British press said the 35-year-old would announce his retirement ahead of the Japanese Grand Prix, only for McLaren to take up Button’s one-year option less than two weeks later.

“Last year I wasn't sure if I'd be racing and it wasn't my choice,” Button told Sky Sports F1.

“This year it was totally my choice and there was a moment where I thought 'I am not sure I want to do this anymore and be where we are'.

“Obviously, if we are where we are right now next year, it is not going to be that enjoyable.”

In the wake of a dismal season where Button’s best result was sixth in a chaotic US Grand Prix, the 2009 world champion says he was convinced to stay by what McLaren has in the pipeline for next year.

“I spent a lot of time with the engineers and the aerodynamicists and I spoke more with [McLaren Group CEO] Ron [Dennis] in the two months when I was trying to decide what to do next year than I have in my whole time at McLaren.

“So a really good relationship there and we went through a lot of ideas for next year and spoke to the aerodynamicists and the engineers and got a real direction and understanding of where we are going and with Honda as well.

“So that got me excited, that got me pumped for next year knowing that there are big improvements on the horizon, and we need them.”

A veteran of 284 starts, Button began competing at the top echelon with Williams in 2000. Since then, he has secured eight pole positions, clinched 50 podiums, and claimed 15 grand prix wins. Button last tasted victory at the 2012 Brazilian Grand Prix, which happens to be McLaren's most recent success as well.

Exclusive pictures of the Mercedes power unit

Marcus Ericsson exclusive interview: Seeking to turn the tide

Use the red tabs on either side of the screen to scroll through more Formula One news and features

Click here for a gallery of the McLaren MP4-X

Keep up to date with all the F1 news via Facebook and Twitter

Julien Billiotte

Recent Posts

Dutch GP: Friday's action in pictures

Mercedes stole a march on its rivals along the shores of the North Sea on…

45 minutes ago

Dutch GP: Russell snatches pole for Zandvoort Sprint

George Russell produced a late surge to claim pole position for Saturday’s Dutch Grand Prix…

1 hour ago

Dutch Grand Prix - Sprint qualifying results

Full results from Sprint qualifying for the Dutch Grand Prix in Zandvoort, round 12 of…

2 hours ago

Tech F1i: A look at the F1 teams' array of upgrades at Zandvoort

Formula 1 returns from its summer break with the competitive order still finely poised, and…

3 hours ago

Alonso offers no timeline on Aston Martin F1 future

While Williams and Red Bull provided clarity this week on their line-ups for 2027 and…

4 hours ago

Dutch GP: Antonelli edges Norris in single practice session

Kimi Antonelli wasted no time reminding Formula 1 why he leads the championship as the…

5 hours ago