F1 News, Reports and Race Results

FIA reaches confidential 'settlement' with Ferrari over 2019 engine

The FIA announced on Friday that it had reached a confidential "agreement" with Scuderia Ferrari regarding its 2019 power unit, the legality of which was called into question by some of its rivals last year.

Ferrari was the focus of the governing body's scrutiny in the latter part of the 2019 season after rumors had emerged that Maranello's engineers had found a subtle way to circumvent engine fuel flow restrictions.

While Ferrari was never officially found in breach of F1's technical regulations, the FIA issued two technical directives ahead of the US and Brazilian Grands Prix clarifying the rules regarding fuel flow.

It now appears that the clever ploy exploited by Ferrari's creative engineers last season was more than just upon by the FIA, although its trick apparently did not justify a formal reprimand or punishment.

"The FIA announces that, after thorough technical investigations, it has concluded its analysis of the operation of the Scuderia Ferrari Formula 1 Power Unit and reached a settlement with the team," said the FIA in Friday's statement.

"The specifics of the agreement will remain between the parties.

"The FIA and Scuderia Ferrari have agreed to a number of technical commitments that will improve the monitoring of all Formula 1 Power Units for forthcoming championship seasons as well as assist the FIA in other regulatory duties in Formula 1 and in its research activities on carbon emissions and sustainable fuels."

In retrospect, Ferrari's rivals would have likely considered its fuel flow stratagem as being either legal or illegal.

But the FIA has evidently chosen to judge the ruse with a nuanced view, handing a massive win to the House of Maranello.

That irresolute attitude likely won't go down well with the Scuderia's rivals.

Gallery: The beautiful wives and girlfriends of F1 drivers

Keep up to date with all the F1 news via Facebook and Twitter

Phillip van Osten

Motor racing was a backdrop from the outset in Phillip van Osten's life. Born in Southern California, Phillip grew up with the sights and sounds of fast cars thanks to his father, Dick van Osten, an editor and writer for Auto Speed and Sport and Motor Trend. Phillip's passion for racing grew even more when his family moved to Europe and he became acquainted with the extraordinary world of Grand Prix racing. He was an early contributor to the monthly French F1i Magazine, often providing a historic or business perspective on Formula 1's affairs. In 2012, he co-authored along with fellow journalist Pierre Van Vliet the English-language adaptation of a limited edition book devoted to the great Belgian driver Jacky Ickx. He also authored "The American Legacy in Formula 1", a book which recounts the trials and tribulations of American drivers in Grand Prix racing. Phillip is also a commentator for Belgian broadcaster Be.TV for the US Indycar series.

Recent Posts

Aston Martin F1 sells minor stake to billionaire Woody Johnson

Aston Martin F1 has added a high-profile new investor to its rostrum of shareholders, with…

56 minutes ago

Dutch GP: Thursday's media in pictures

Formula 1 roars back into action this weekend as the summer break gives way to…

2 hours ago

Gasly praises Verstappen’s manager for achieving ‘nice pay rise’

Pierre Gasly has offered a mischievous glimpse behind the curtain of Max Verstappen’s new Red…

2 hours ago

Russell says Mercedes seat ‘never under threat’ by Verstappen

George Russell has offered a cool-headed response to Max Verstappen’s decision to remain at Red…

3 hours ago

Verstappen says retirement was closer than joining rival F1 team

Max Verstappen has revealed that his Formula 1 future came perilously close to ending altogether,…

5 hours ago

Cadillac F1 quash sale rumours amid TWG investigation

Cadillac has moved swiftly to quash speculation that its fledgling Formula 1 operation could be…

6 hours ago