Mercedes Motorsport boss Toto Wolff believes the manufacturer's DTM champion and F1 reserve driver Pascal Wehrlein has but a small chance of joining the ranks of Formula 1 in 2016.

Wehrlein was considered to be a prime candidate for a seat at Manor given the British team's switch to Mercedes power for next year, but the current hefty price tag associated with a drive with the British outfit is out of Mercedes' reach.

Wolff suggested a €4 million budget had been allocated by Mercedes for its protégé, an amount the German manager said was 'by far not enough' to secure a seat with Manor.

Wolff also expressed concerns over rumors that Indonesian GP2 racer Rio Haryanto was also linked to a Manor drive, having the full support of his country's government to the tune of £10 million!

"With the amount that was in the media to buy a ride like this, you destroy Formula 1," Wolff told Speedweek.

Should Wehrlein fail to secure an F1 drive for next season, he would most probably return once again to the DTM series to defend his title, perhaps alo,gside fellow Mercedes protégé Esteban Ocon.

Best of 2015 ... Crashes

2015 F1 technical review

2015 F1 season: F1i's drivers review 10-1

2015 F1 season: F1i's drivers review 21-11

Use the red tabs on either side of the screen to scroll through more Formula One news and features

Click here for a gallery of the McLaren MP4-X

Keep up to date with all the F1 news via Facebook and Twitter

Phillip van Osten

Motor racing was a backdrop from the outset in Phillip van Osten's life. Born in Southern California, Phillip grew up with the sights and sounds of fast cars thanks to his father, Dick van Osten, an editor and writer for Auto Speed and Sport and Motor Trend. Phillip's passion for racing grew even more when his family moved to Europe and he became acquainted with the extraordinary world of Grand Prix racing. He was an early contributor to the monthly French F1i Magazine, often providing a historic or business perspective on Formula 1's affairs. In 2012, he co-authored along with fellow journalist Pierre Van Vliet the English-language adaptation of a limited edition book devoted to the great Belgian driver Jacky Ickx. He also authored "The American Legacy in Formula 1", a book which recounts the trials and tribulations of American drivers in Grand Prix racing. Phillip is also a commentator for Belgian broadcaster Be.TV for the US Indycar series.

Recent Posts

Remembering the man who conquered F1's most thrilling win

Peter Gethin, the man who secured perhaps the most thrilling win ever witnessed in Grand…

12 mins ago

Aston Martin’s nightmare: Honda owns up to power unit meltdown

Aston Martin engine supplier Honda has publicly conceded what the timing screens in Bahrain had…

1 hour ago

Piastri explains management shake-up ahead of 2026 F1 season

As the countdown to 2026 gathers pace, Oscar Piastri has reshuffled his inner circle –…

3 hours ago

Aston Martin F1 secures naming rights in perpetuity amid turmoil

The Aston Martin F1 team will carry its name into Grand Prix racing’s future in…

4 hours ago

Vasseur encouraged as Ferrari hits mileage targets in Bahrain

Ferrari wrapped up a productive pre-season testing stint in Bahrain, leaving team principal Fred Vasseur…

18 hours ago

Antonelli sees fixes, Russell stumbles as Bahrain reveals issues

Mercedes’ pre-season testing in Bahrain wrapped up on Friday with a mix of promise and…

19 hours ago