F1 News, Reports and Race Results

Mercedes drivers 'not aware' that engines were turned down

Valtteri Bottas and Lewis Hamilton were unaware that their Mercedes engines were marginally turned down for Sunday's Abu Dhabi GP to safeguard against a potential MGU-K failure.

Red Bull's Max Verstappen cruised to a dominant win in Formula 1's season finale at Yas Marina, with Bottas and Hamilton trailing the Dutchman by over a 15-second margin at the checkered flag.

Ahead of Sunday's race, Mercedes team boss Toto Wolff alluded to MGU-K reliability concerns following several failures of the component that had recently hit Racing Point and Williams

Wolff suggested that Mercedes had "taken a bit of performance out" of its engines. But that was news to Bottas and Hamilton after the race.

"Honestly, I wasn’t aware that the engine was turned down," said Bottas. "I can’t really say much. I don’t know if it was how much it was. So, I don’t know.

"Red Bull was obviously quicker and for the first time this year they have such a gap on the race pace against us so… not much more to say."

Hamilton was also unaware of any power output changes, but admitted that they would have made sense in light of the MGU-K issues encountered recently by Racing Point and Williams.

“When we go back now we’ll ask about it because I wasn’t aware of that personally, I arrived late Thursday night," said the seven-time world champion.

"HPP and Mercedes have done an amazing job this year. If you look at my reliability for example it’s managed to finish every race so it’s been really fantastic.

"There have been issues with other engines that Mercedes have done for example for the Force India [Racing Point] and with the Williams. So we definitely have work to do.

"If they have done something then it would make sense for sure."

On Sunday evening, Mercedes' head of trackside operations Andrew Shovlin confirmed the manufacturer's engine had been set to a more "conservative" mode although the change may have not been perceived by the drivers.

"It’s not fully understood yet but there have been failures related to the K on Mercedes engines in the last couple of events," Shovlin explained.

"I would say that rather than being acutely aware of a specific problem, we are operating the power unit in a way that’s as conservative as we can be in order to try and avoid a problem.

"When you don’t understand exactly the string of issues all you can do is just be a bit cautious. So during the race we were trying to reduce the duty marginally.

"The drivers wouldn’t have necessarily been aware of it. It was just something we were trying to manage in the background."

Gallery: The beautiful wives and girlfriends of F1 drivers

Keep up to date with all the F1 news via Facebook and Twitter

Michael Delaney

Recent Posts

Stella names rivals ‘a step ahead’ of McLaren after Bahrain

McLaren arrived in Bahrain for pre-season testing determined to defend its status as Formula 1’s…

2 hours ago

Hulkenberg says Audi’s rivals haven't 'pulled their pants down' yet

Nico Hulkenberg has given F1 fans a vivid image to ponder ahead of the 2026…

4 hours ago

Total mileage and fastest laps from F1 pre-season testing

Under the pale winter sun of Barcelona and the desert glare of Bahrain, George Russell…

5 hours ago

Remembering the man who conquered F1's most thrilling win

Peter Gethin, the man who secured perhaps the most thrilling win ever witnessed in Grand…

7 hours ago

Aston Martin’s nightmare: Honda owns up to power unit meltdown

Aston Martin engine supplier Honda has publicly conceded what the timing screens in Bahrain had…

8 hours ago

Piastri explains management shake-up ahead of 2026 F1 season

As the countdown to 2026 gathers pace, Oscar Piastri has reshuffled his inner circle –…

9 hours ago