F1 News, Reports and Race Results

Uralkali demands 'immediate reimbursement' from Haas

Russian fertiliser giant Uralkali is demanding a full refund from the Haas F1 Team following the termination of its title sponsorship contract for the team.

Last week, Haas announced an immediate end to its partnership with the company in the wake of Russia's invasion of Ukraine and the implementation of global sanctions against Russian businesses and individuals.

Haas also terminated the contract of driver Nikita Mazepin at the same time. The 22-year-old from Moscow is the son of the co-owner of Uralkali's parent company Uralchem, Dimitry Mazepin.

In a statement issued on Wednesday morning, Uralkali said it “intends to protect its interests in line with applicable legal procedures."

The statement added that the company "reserves its rights to initiate judicial proceedings, claim damages and seek repayment of the significant amount" that it says had already been paid to Haas for 2022.

It said that "most" of this year's sponsorship money had been handed over to Haas, and that therefore the termination meant that Haas had "failed to perform its obligations to Uralkali for this year’s season”.

Uralkali added that it would seek “immediate reimbursement of the amounts received by Haas”. It added: “The refund from Haas and the remaining part of Uralkali’s sponsor financing for 2022 will be used to establish the We Compete As One athlete support foundation.”

Mazepin himself said in a press conference today that the money will be used to provide financial aid to sportsmen "unable to compete because of “political reasons”and who had been “collectively punished just for the passports they hold”.

Uralkali said that Haas's decision to end its association was "unreasonable" and added that it “believes that sports should always be free of politics and pressure from external factors”.

Haas itself has said that the loss of the Uralkali sponsorship, while significant, did not threaten the team's financial viability, given owner Gene Haas' billionaire status.

The squad is set to announce who will take Mazepin's place in the driver line-up alongside Mick Schumacher.

Reserve driver Pietro Fittipaldi will drive the car tomorrow in testing at Bahrain, while Antonio Giovinazzi, Nico Hulkenberg and Kevin Magnussen have all been rumoured to be in the running in the medium- to long-term.

Earlier this week, Hitech Grand Prix also ended its sponsorship deal with Uralkali for its FIA Formula 2 and Formula 3 squads. Uralkali hasn’t said if it will also instigate similar legal processes to reclaim that sponsorship funding.

Gallery: The beautiful wives and girlfriends of F1 drivers

Keep up to date with all the F1 news via Facebook and Twitter

Andrew Lewin

Andrew first became a fan of Formula 1 during the time when Michael Schumacher and Damon Hill were stepping into the limelight after the era of Alain Prost, Nigel Mansell and Aryton Senna. He's been addicted ever since, and has been writing about the sport now for nearly a quarter of a century for a number of online news sites. He's also written professionally about GP2 (now Formula 2), GP3, IndyCar, World Rally Championship, MotoGP and NASCAR. In his other professional life, Andrew is a freelance writer, social media consultant, web developer/programmer, and digital specialist in the fields of accessibility, usability, IA, online communities and public sector procurement. He worked for many years in magazine production at Bauer Media, and for over a decade he was part of the digital media team at the UK government's communications department. Born and raised in Essex, Andrew currently lives and works in south-west London.

Recent Posts

Stella names rivals ‘a step ahead’ of McLaren after Bahrain

McLaren arrived in Bahrain for pre-season testing determined to defend its status as Formula 1’s…

14 hours ago

Hulkenberg says Audi’s rivals haven't 'pulled their pants down' yet

Nico Hulkenberg has given F1 fans a vivid image to ponder ahead of the 2026…

16 hours ago

Total mileage and fastest laps from F1 pre-season testing

Under the pale winter sun of Barcelona and the desert glare of Bahrain, George Russell…

18 hours ago

Remembering the man who conquered F1's most thrilling win

Peter Gethin, the man who secured perhaps the most thrilling win ever witnessed in Grand…

19 hours ago

Aston Martin’s nightmare: Honda owns up to power unit meltdown

Aston Martin engine supplier Honda has publicly conceded what the timing screens in Bahrain had…

20 hours ago

Piastri explains management shake-up ahead of 2026 F1 season

As the countdown to 2026 gathers pace, Oscar Piastri has reshuffled his inner circle –…

21 hours ago