Sauber has launched its new car for the 2016 season - known as the C35 - ahead of the second pre-season test.

The team ran its 2015 car during the first test having opted to not bring forward the launch of its new chassis. On Monday morning Sauber unveiled the C35 online, releasing the first images of its new car.

The C35 features a tightly packaged rear end, while it retains a similar nose design to last year's car. Team principal Monisha Kaltenborn says Sauber is targeting a clear step forward in competitiveness with its new car.

“We want to clearly improve," Kaltenborn said. “Obviously, there’s a certain position we’d like to achieve. But, to start with, it’s important to become established in mid-field. Only then are we going to focus on individual positions.”

With Sauber retaining Marcus Ericsson and Felipe Nasr as the team's driver line-up, Kaltenborn says she expects both to kick on in their second year with the team.

“Both delivered a good, first season for us. Speaking for Marcus and Felipe is the fact that they made only few mistakes. And that they learnt from these mistakes. Now they’ll have to show how they’re going to keep working on their skills following the experience they’ve gained.”

The new car is set to be rolled out on Tuesday morning at the Circuit de Barcelona-Catalunya. Toro Rosso will also unveil its 2016 livery ahead of the first day of the second test.

©SauberF1Team

Force India winter diary part seven - Shooting the drivers

GALLERY: Pre-season testing

Keep up to date with all the F1 news via Facebook and Twitter

Andrew Lewin

Andrew first became a fan of Formula 1 during the time when Michael Schumacher and Damon Hill were stepping into the limelight after the era of Alain Prost, Nigel Mansell and Aryton Senna. He's been addicted ever since, and has been writing about the sport now for nearly a quarter of a century for a number of online news sites. He's also written professionally about GP2 (now Formula 2), GP3, IndyCar, World Rally Championship, MotoGP and NASCAR. In his other professional life, Andrew is a freelance writer, social media consultant, web developer/programmer, and digital specialist in the fields of accessibility, usability, IA, online communities and public sector procurement. He worked for many years in magazine production at Bauer Media, and for over a decade he was part of the digital media team at the UK government's communications department. Born and raised in Essex, Andrew currently lives and works in south-west London.

Recent Posts

Williams end Sainz uncertainty with multi-year contract extension

Williams has moved decisively to end the uncertainty over Carlos Sainz’s future, confirming that the…

1 hour ago

Confirmed: Hadjar out, Lawson in at Red Bull for Dutch GP

Red Bull has confirmed that Isack Hadjar will miss this weekend’s Dutch Grand Prix after…

3 hours ago

Honda facing ‘important milestone’ as new PU debuts at Dutch GP

Honda is ready to give Aston Martin another reason for optimism at Zandvoort, with its…

4 hours ago

Albon explains why he backs Williams: 'We needed this tough year'

Alex Albon says he’s chosen belief over frustration in his decision to commit his future…

5 hours ago

Horner set for UK book tour to promote highly anticipated memoir

Christian Horner will be on tour this autumn. But fortunately for Formula 1 fans, however,…

7 hours ago

Hadjar reportedly ruled out of Dutch GP after sustaining injury!

Red Bull has reportedly been plunged into a late and potentially dramatic driver reshuffle ahead…

9 hours ago