Button: ‘I haven’t pushed this car yet’

Jenson Button says he has been unable to push the McLaren MP4-30 yet following trouble-hit days for McLaren-Honda.

With just 41 laps possible across his two days at the first test at Jerez, Button’s running at the second test was again hampered by reliability issues as his first day in the car resulted in just 21 laps before an MGU-K issue stopped his progress. With Fernando Alonso completing 59 laps on day two, Button was hopeful of more mileage but the problems resurfaced on Saturday.

Speaking before Sunday’s running - when Button was again denied time in the car following a crash for Alonso in the morning session which left his team-mate concussed - Button said there had been progress made for the team but he still feels underprepared as a driver.

“I’d be very happy to do 59 laps, but [Saturday] wasn’t my day to do 59 laps,” Button said. “I haven’t really driven this car in anger yet. I did one new tyre run [on Saturday] morning which was cut short and I did one on Thursday morning at ten o’clock on new tyres and that was it. So it’s been a tough test for me personally but in terms of information [Friday] was good. We gained a lot of information in terms of the direction of the car and the set-up which is great.

“I wasn’t able to do any timed laps because we had the problems again [on Saturday] morning so the afternoon was basically just data gathering, aero work, starts and pit stops which are things which we could do which is good. The starts worked very well, which is great to see as they were the first starts that we’ve done.

“So there were some positives in terms of moving forward for Melbourne but not so good for me in terms of putting laps under my belt in the car and really seeing what this car can do. I feel when I get in the car every time that everything feels right with the car but I haven’t pushed this car yet.”

Full times and the final day as it happened

Click here for the gallery from day four of the second test

Keep up to date with all the F1 news via Facebook and Twitter

Andrew Lewin

Andrew first became a fan of Formula 1 during the time when Michael Schumacher and Damon Hill were stepping into the limelight after the era of Alain Prost, Nigel Mansell and Aryton Senna. He's been addicted ever since, and has been writing about the sport now for nearly a quarter of a century for a number of online news sites. He's also written professionally about GP2 (now Formula 2), GP3, IndyCar, World Rally Championship, MotoGP and NASCAR. In his other professional life, Andrew is a freelance writer, social media consultant, web developer/programmer, and digital specialist in the fields of accessibility, usability, IA, online communities and public sector procurement. He worked for many years in magazine production at Bauer Media, and for over a decade he was part of the digital media team at the UK government's communications department. Born and raised in Essex, Andrew currently lives and works in south-west London.

Recent Posts

Total mileage and fastest laps from F1 pre-season testing

Under the pale winter sun of Barcelona and the desert glare of Bahrain, George Russell…

2 hours ago

Remembering the man who conquered F1's most thrilling win

Peter Gethin, the man who secured perhaps the most thrilling win ever witnessed in Grand…

3 hours ago

Aston Martin’s nightmare: Honda owns up to power unit meltdown

Aston Martin engine supplier Honda has publicly conceded what the timing screens in Bahrain had…

4 hours ago

Piastri explains management shake-up ahead of 2026 F1 season

As the countdown to 2026 gathers pace, Oscar Piastri has reshuffled his inner circle –…

5 hours ago

Aston Martin F1 secures naming rights in perpetuity amid turmoil

The Aston Martin F1 team will carry its name into Grand Prix racing’s future in…

6 hours ago

Vasseur encouraged as Ferrari hits mileage targets in Bahrain

Ferrari wrapped up a productive pre-season testing stint in Bahrain, leaving team principal Fred Vasseur…

20 hours ago