F1 News, Reports and Race Results

Piquet apologises 'wholeheartedly' to Hamilton – clarifies comment

Nelson Piquet has issued a formal apology, including to Lewis Hamilton, for the "ill-thought-out" comment on the seven-time world champion made in an interview last year.

Speaking last November on a 'Motorsport Talks' podcast, Piquet was addressing the famous incident between Hamilton and Max Verstappen that took place at last year's British Grand Prix.

In his comments which were only unearthed earlier this week, speaking in Portuguese, the Brazilian used the word "neguinho" to describe Hamilton.

This was immediately construed as a racial slur by angered Hamilton fans on social media, and interpreted as the english equivalent of the N-word.

Widespread condemnation ensued, with Formula 1, the FIA and the Mercedes team all issuing statements in support of Hamilton and "denouncing discriminatory or racist language as unacceptable in any form".

Hamilton himself, wrote on social media that the comment reflected an "archaic mindset" that needed to change and has "no place in our sport".

On Wednesday, Piquet issued an apologise and also clarified the use of the word "neguinho".

"I would like to clear up the stories circulating in the media about a comment I made in an interview last year," said the three-time F1 world champion.

"What I said was ill-thought-out, and I make no defence for it, but I will clarify that the term used is one that has widely and historically been used colloquially in Brazilian Portuguese as a synonym for ‘guy’ or ‘person’ and was never intended to offend."

Piquet stated that the word was by no means the equivalent of the N-word in english.

"I would never use the word I have been accused of in some translations," he added.

"I strongly condemn any suggestion that the word was used by me with the aim of belittling a driver because of his skin colour.

"I apologise wholeheartedly to anyone that was affected, including Lewis, who is an incredible driver, but the translation in some media that is now circulating on social media is not correct.

"Discrimination has no place in F1 or society and I am happy to clarify my thoughts in that respect."

Following Piquet's questionable word blunder, pressure has ramped up on Formula 1 to take action against the Brazilian.

Keep up to date with all the F1 news via Facebook and Twitter

Phillip van Osten

Motor racing was a backdrop from the outset in Phillip van Osten's life. Born in Southern California, Phillip grew up with the sights and sounds of fast cars thanks to his father, Dick van Osten, an editor and writer for Auto Speed and Sport and Motor Trend. Phillip's passion for racing grew even more when his family moved to Europe and he became acquainted with the extraordinary world of Grand Prix racing. He was an early contributor to the monthly French F1i Magazine, often providing a historic or business perspective on Formula 1's affairs. In 2012, he co-authored along with fellow journalist Pierre Van Vliet the English-language adaptation of a limited edition book devoted to the great Belgian driver Jacky Ickx. He also authored "The American Legacy in Formula 1", a book which recounts the trials and tribulations of American drivers in Grand Prix racing. Phillip is also a commentator for Belgian broadcaster Be.TV for the US Indycar series.

Recent Posts

Stella names rivals ‘a step ahead’ of McLaren after Bahrain

McLaren arrived in Bahrain for pre-season testing determined to defend its status as Formula 1’s…

15 hours ago

Hulkenberg says Audi’s rivals haven't 'pulled their pants down' yet

Nico Hulkenberg has given F1 fans a vivid image to ponder ahead of the 2026…

16 hours ago

Total mileage and fastest laps from F1 pre-season testing

Under the pale winter sun of Barcelona and the desert glare of Bahrain, George Russell…

18 hours ago

Remembering the man who conquered F1's most thrilling win

Peter Gethin, the man who secured perhaps the most thrilling win ever witnessed in Grand…

19 hours ago

Aston Martin’s nightmare: Honda owns up to power unit meltdown

Aston Martin engine supplier Honda has publicly conceded what the timing screens in Bahrain had…

20 hours ago

Piastri explains management shake-up ahead of 2026 F1 season

As the countdown to 2026 gathers pace, Oscar Piastri has reshuffled his inner circle –…

22 hours ago