New Sauber better all-around but more work ahead - Nasr

As he starts his second Formula 1 season Sauber's Felipe Nasr believes the Swiss team's new C35 conten der is an all-round improvement over its predecessor.

The yellow and blue Ferrari-powered car was officially unveiled on Monday, a week after its rivals, as manufacturing and development constraints delayed its launch.

Nasr got down to business on Tuesday, raking in 103 laps over the course of the day and, a modest ninth place on the timesheets notwithstanding, reporting a positive first impressions.

"It was impressive to have clocked that amount of laps on our first day," Nasr said.

"Normally I would expect more things to need fixing, but it was quite a smooth day overall. Still a lot of work to be done though, I'm sure we're going to see a progression of the car over the next days.

"But the first impression was quite good, it felt like a step forward from last year from the chassis, from the engine, gearbox side ... it just felt like we have a step forward in everything."

"On a back to back comparaison with last year's car, we seem to have a more stable rear in medium and high-speed corners. But it's still early days to be judging anything. The whole package will be developped over the next days."

The 23-year-old Brazilian admitted he would have preferred to have put the new C35 through its paces a week ago, along with his rivals, as the late start may hinder the team's performance in Melbourne.

"If I had the car a week ago we would have done much of the work that we did today. But I'd rather have the car now than to not have it.

"We have more work ahead of us, we still need time, and maybe it will not be 100 per cent in Australia, but I am as optimistic as possible.

"I believe we will have a good preparation for the first race," Nasr concluded.

Follow live coverage and timing from pre-season testing here

Who is driving when during the second pre-season test

Second pre-season test preview

Keep up to date with all the F1 news via Facebook and Twitter

Phillip van Osten

Motor racing was a backdrop from the outset in Phillip van Osten's life. Born in Southern California, Phillip grew up with the sights and sounds of fast cars thanks to his father, Dick van Osten, an editor and writer for Auto Speed and Sport and Motor Trend. Phillip's passion for racing grew even more when his family moved to Europe and he became acquainted with the extraordinary world of Grand Prix racing. He was an early contributor to the monthly French F1i Magazine, often providing a historic or business perspective on Formula 1's affairs. In 2012, he co-authored along with fellow journalist Pierre Van Vliet the English-language adaptation of a limited edition book devoted to the great Belgian driver Jacky Ickx. He also authored "The American Legacy in Formula 1", a book which recounts the trials and tribulations of American drivers in Grand Prix racing. Phillip is also a commentator for Belgian broadcaster Be.TV for the US Indycar series.

Recent Posts

Stella names rivals ‘a step ahead’ of McLaren after Bahrain

McLaren arrived in Bahrain for pre-season testing determined to defend its status as Formula 1’s…

31 mins ago

Hulkenberg says Audi’s rivals haven't 'pulled their pants down' yet

Nico Hulkenberg has given F1 fans a vivid image to ponder ahead of the 2026…

2 hours ago

Total mileage and fastest laps from F1 pre-season testing

Under the pale winter sun of Barcelona and the desert glare of Bahrain, George Russell…

4 hours ago

Remembering the man who conquered F1's most thrilling win

Peter Gethin, the man who secured perhaps the most thrilling win ever witnessed in Grand…

5 hours ago

Aston Martin’s nightmare: Honda owns up to power unit meltdown

Aston Martin engine supplier Honda has publicly conceded what the timing screens in Bahrain had…

6 hours ago

Piastri explains management shake-up ahead of 2026 F1 season

As the countdown to 2026 gathers pace, Oscar Piastri has reshuffled his inner circle –…

7 hours ago