Jolyon Palmer says he held talks with Manor Grand Prix about a potential race seat for 2015 but opted to join Lotus instead.

Manor - the former Marussia team - is attempting to race in 2015 using a modified 2014 chassis, with Ferrari having confirmed it has agreed to supply the team with last year’s power unit. Palmer joined Lotus as third driver in January but revealed to F1i that he held talks with Manor before he signed for the Enstone-based team.

“We had a little bit of contact from them just before I signed the deal with Lotus,” Palmer said. “There’s so many unknowns to be honest with it and it’s a team that struggled already last year with full backing. I think it will take a big effort for them to get on the grid.

“I hope they do get on the grid, but it was a big risk for my career and to sign for a very solid team like Lotus was really I think a good decision and the only one we could take at that point. I do hope they get on the grid though because it would be nice to have more opportunities for drivers, two more places and two more cars on the grid. But as a viable option for a driver it’s a big risk.”

And Palmer explained he felt consistent track time in a competitive car would be more beneficial in the long term than running potentially off the pace.

“I think track time in an established team is really crucial. I don’t know if Manor turn up what they will turn up with, but they still want the old car I think and the old engine which wasn't so competitive already last year and the cars have taken a big step forward this year. So it was weighing that up. I don’t want to be in Formula One at the back really, I want to be in it with the best opportunity possible, so I’m here.”

Click here for the gallery from day four of the second test

Keep up to date with all the F1 news via Facebook and Twitter

Andrew Lewin

Andrew first became a fan of Formula 1 during the time when Michael Schumacher and Damon Hill were stepping into the limelight after the era of Alain Prost, Nigel Mansell and Aryton Senna. He's been addicted ever since, and has been writing about the sport now for nearly a quarter of a century for a number of online news sites. He's also written professionally about GP2 (now Formula 2), GP3, IndyCar, World Rally Championship, MotoGP and NASCAR. In his other professional life, Andrew is a freelance writer, social media consultant, web developer/programmer, and digital specialist in the fields of accessibility, usability, IA, online communities and public sector procurement. He worked for many years in magazine production at Bauer Media, and for over a decade he was part of the digital media team at the UK government's communications department. Born and raised in Essex, Andrew currently lives and works in south-west London.

Recent Posts

Mekies has ‘zero concern’ over Verstappen losing interest in F1

Red Bull team principal Laurent Mekies has forcefully brushed aside fears that Max Verstappen could…

9 hours ago

Bahrain F1 testing: Day 4 in pictures

F1 teams returned to the grind on Wednesday in Bahrain for the sport’s final three…

10 hours ago

Bahrain F1 test: Russell puts Mercedes on top on Day 4

George Russell stamped his authority on Wednesday’s action in Bahrain, powering Mercedes to the top…

11 hours ago

Formula 1 manufacturers set for crucial compression ratio vote

A simmering technical row in Formula 1 is hurtling toward a decisive moment, as the…

12 hours ago

Hamilton feels connected to Ferrari's SF-26: ‘My DNA is in this car’

Ferrari’s garage is buzzing with a renewed sense of purpose, and for the first time…

14 hours ago

The extraordinary legacy of Enzo Ferrari lives on

Ferrari's performance at the pinnacle of motorsport ebbs and flows, but the House Of Maranello…

15 hours ago