F1 News, Reports and Race Results

Red Bull/Porsche F1 joint venture reportedly on thin ice

Rumors are gathering pace in the F1 paddock that the joint venture between Red Bull and Porsche that is to allow the latter to enter F1 is in jeopardy.

As recently as last week, all signs pointed to a long-term collaboration between Red Bull and Porsche set for 2026 that would see each party own an equal amount of shares of Red Bull Technology, the entity that operates the energy drink company's principal Formula 1 team.

At Spa, Audi publicly confirmed its entry into F1 from 2026 as a power unit manufacturer, and it was believed that its fellow VW affiliate Porsche would follow suit with an announcement of its own, possibly at Zandvoort.

But Red Bull team boss Christian Horner said in Belgium that no deal had yet been agreed with Porsche while insisting that its new engine department, Red Bull powertrains, was moving full steam ahead with the development of its in-house 2026 engine.

According to reports, Red Bull and Porsche are struggling to agree on key corporate matters such as future shareholders and voting rights.

©RedBull

But Volkswagen's upcoming $85 billion spin-off of Porsche is apparently also hampering discussions and potential arrangements.

Moreover, rumors have also emerged that Honda is considering extending its involvement in F1 and collaboration with Red Bull beyond 2025.

At Spa, Horner made clear that Red Bull Powertrains is proceeding with the development of its engine as scheduled and independently from Red Bull's negotiations with Porsche.

"Obviously, we're pushing ahead with Red Bull Powertrains," said Horner. "They fired up the first engine prior to the summer break. 2026 is still a while away.

"We have plenty of time, and of course, strategically, we will have to do what's right for the team and for the company. And obviously that's between the shareholders. And there's constructive ongoing discussions obviously with Porsche."

Queried on an eventual prolongation of Red Bull's relationship with Honda, Horner said: "I think that for 2026, nothing is fixed.

"I mean, obviously, Red Bull Powertrains is established, we have more than 300 people recruited. So, that is our path."

Horner also revealed that Red Bull Powertrains is on course to register with the FIA as an engine manufacturer by October 15, a status that will give RPB the right to vote on any future rule changes.

"There is a date," he said. "But that doesn't preclude a deal being done after the 15th. So Red Bull Powertrains will be supplying two teams in 2026."

In short, RBP will produce a new-generation engine for 2026 as part of Red Bull's efforts to bring engine and chassis integration under one roof, with badging rights for the unit either picked up by a third party or assigned to Porsche as part of its joint-venture with Red Bull, if such an association comes to pass.

"We don't have time pressure," concluded Horner. "Because ‘26 is still three and a bit years away. So we don't need to be in a rush. And therefore, obviously, constructive discussions are ongoing."

Keep up to date with all the F1 news via Facebook and Twitter

Phillip van Osten

Motor racing was a backdrop from the outset in Phillip van Osten's life. Born in Southern California, Phillip grew up with the sights and sounds of fast cars thanks to his father, Dick van Osten, an editor and writer for Auto Speed and Sport and Motor Trend. Phillip's passion for racing grew even more when his family moved to Europe and he became acquainted with the extraordinary world of Grand Prix racing. He was an early contributor to the monthly French F1i Magazine, often providing a historic or business perspective on Formula 1's affairs. In 2012, he co-authored along with fellow journalist Pierre Van Vliet the English-language adaptation of a limited edition book devoted to the great Belgian driver Jacky Ickx. He also authored "The American Legacy in Formula 1", a book which recounts the trials and tribulations of American drivers in Grand Prix racing. Phillip is also a commentator for Belgian broadcaster Be.TV for the US Indycar series.

Recent Posts

Stella names rivals ‘a step ahead’ of McLaren after Bahrain

McLaren arrived in Bahrain for pre-season testing determined to defend its status as Formula 1’s…

6 hours ago

Hulkenberg says Audi’s rivals haven't 'pulled their pants down' yet

Nico Hulkenberg has given F1 fans a vivid image to ponder ahead of the 2026…

7 hours ago

Total mileage and fastest laps from F1 pre-season testing

Under the pale winter sun of Barcelona and the desert glare of Bahrain, George Russell…

9 hours ago

Remembering the man who conquered F1's most thrilling win

Peter Gethin, the man who secured perhaps the most thrilling win ever witnessed in Grand…

10 hours ago

Aston Martin’s nightmare: Honda owns up to power unit meltdown

Aston Martin engine supplier Honda has publicly conceded what the timing screens in Bahrain had…

11 hours ago

Piastri explains management shake-up ahead of 2026 F1 season

As the countdown to 2026 gathers pace, Oscar Piastri has reshuffled his inner circle –…

13 hours ago