Daniel Ricciardo says he is wary of considering a move away from Red Bull in the future in case he doesn't perform well this season.

The Australian was hugely impressive during his debut season with Red Bull, taking three race victories and finishing third in the drivers' championship ahead of team-mate Sebastian Vettel. However, Red Bull struggled last year and failed to win a race, with Ricciardo being beaten by Vettel's replacement Daniil Kvyat.

With a number of drivers out of contract at the end of 2016 - including Nico Rosberg, Kimi Raikkonen and Jenson Button - there could be a lot of movement in the driver market but Ricciardo is wary of considering alternative plans away from Red Bull.

"I’m not looking forwards yet," Ricciardo said. "I don’t tend to look too far ahead anyway as a lot of things can happen. I definitely want to get the season started and make sure I start on the right foot and get myself where I need to be and then as the season reaches the mid-point you can start thinking about 2017 and all the rest of it."

Following contrasting seasons with Red Bull, Ricciardo says the disappointment of last year has made him a more complete driver which he hopes to show in 2016.

"My two years with Red Bull have been pretty different. I’ve rated highs and lows, seen morale of the team swing. We’ve gone through quite a bit together, and now we have some good stability, I’ve got the same engineers and I think this year can be a very good one for us so yeah I’m excited.

"I’m not going to be too excited but I’m definitely excited. I see myself as a pretty complete driver now. I don’t want to be naive. I can always learn and keep evolving. I think I’m prepared for the situation. I just want to race, I want to get that competition out of me and start battling."

FEATURE: Hello to Halo?

ANALYSIS: The two F1 pre-season tests in numbers

GALLERY: Pre-season testing

Keep up to date with all the F1 news via Facebook and Twitter

Andrew Lewin

Andrew first became a fan of Formula 1 during the time when Michael Schumacher and Damon Hill were stepping into the limelight after the era of Alain Prost, Nigel Mansell and Aryton Senna. He's been addicted ever since, and has been writing about the sport now for nearly a quarter of a century for a number of online news sites. He's also written professionally about GP2 (now Formula 2), GP3, IndyCar, World Rally Championship, MotoGP and NASCAR. In his other professional life, Andrew is a freelance writer, social media consultant, web developer/programmer, and digital specialist in the fields of accessibility, usability, IA, online communities and public sector procurement. He worked for many years in magazine production at Bauer Media, and for over a decade he was part of the digital media team at the UK government's communications department. Born and raised in Essex, Andrew currently lives and works in south-west London.

Recent Posts

Haas targets top-10 return in Canada as team unleashes VF-26 upgrade

Read also: Haas is set to roll out a heavily revised VF-26 in Montreal this…

8 hours ago

Mercedes confirms Montreal upgrade: ‘We need to respond’

Toto Wolff has fired a clear warning to Formula 1’s chasing pack ahead of this…

9 hours ago

Schumacher facing challenging Indy 500 debut after qualifying

Mick Schumacher is officially locked into the field for his very first Indianapolis 500, though…

10 hours ago

A Lotus blossoms in Monaco for the very first time

Colin Chapman's Team Lotus entered Grand Prix racing on this day in 1958, fielding a…

12 hours ago

Palou takes stunning Indy 500 pole for Ganassi: ‘I have no words’

Talk about a masterclass in speed! On Sunday at the Brickyard, Chip Ganassi Racing’s Alex…

13 hours ago

Coulthard flags hidden challenge behind Antonelli’s shock title bid

David Coulthard believes Kimi Antonelli’s rapid rise to the top of the Formula 1 world…

14 hours ago