F1 boss supports hybrid elimination qualifying format

Bernie Ecclestone admits the much-maligned elimination-style qualifying format can be improved, but says he is not in favour of reverting to the old system.

Hastily devised a couple of weeks before the season-opening Australian Grand Prix, the knockout format was anti-climatic and led to farcical scenes in Melbourne, with Lewis Hamilton securing pole with several minutes left on the clock.

In the wake of the uproar, F1 team bosses convened an emergency meeting on the morning of the race and elected to revert to the system that had been in place since 2006. Since then a few dissenting voices have emerged to say that ditching the new qualifying format altogether after only one race is premature.

While Ecclestone readily confesses that last Saturday’s session was not a great showing for F1, the 85-year-old supremo would rather see the new format being tweaked.

“I was also confused as it was the first run and all the variables couldn't have been predicted, like how everything was decided in Q3 – we can improve it,” Ecclestone said in an interview with La Gazzetta dello Sport.

“The teams are discussing that and they want to go back [to the old format]. If I were to give an opinion, I would say we will continue with the format from Australia.

“I am a prudent man, and new things must be tested. The new qualifying caused a bit of shock, but maybe we can salvage the good of the format.”

Ecclestone still believes an elimination-style system could spice up the show.

“I want to ensure the final result isn't taken for granted,” he added.

“I am an entrepreneur and I must sell Formula 1 to the race organisers. If fans no longer watch then I have less money to give the teams.

“I have to find the best solution and having drivers eliminated every 90 seconds could be exciting.”

It has been reported that the upcoming Barhain Grand Prix will see a hybrid system being in force, whereby the knockout principle would remain for Q1 and Q2 whereas Q3 would be run under the rules of the old format.

Scene at the Australian Grand Prix

Australian Grand Prix - Quotes of the weekend

Keep up to date with all the F1 news via Facebook and Twitter

Julien Billiotte

Recent Posts

Coulthard predicts permanent F1 farewell for Zandvoort

Former F1 driver and commentator David Coulthard shared his perspective on why Zandvoort has most…

27 minutes ago

McLaren unleash another MCL40 upgrade blitz at Dutch GP

McLaren heads into the Dutch Grand Prix with momentum firmly on its side, and the…

2 hours ago

Verstappen settles F1 future, extends Red Bull deal until 2030!

Max Verstappen has finally put to rest the speculation surrounding his Red Bull future, committing…

3 hours ago

FIA sets date for McLaren and Red Bull’s Monaco appeal

McLaren and Red Bull will finally get their chance to challenge the FIA’s controversial decision…

4 hours ago

Cadillac F1 owner Mark Walter reportedly facing US federal probe

The Cadillac F1 team heads into this weekend’s Dutch Grand Prix with a new team…

19 hours ago

An F1 baptism by fire on home turf for Berger

On this day in 1984, Gerhard Berger started the first of his 210 Grands Prix,…

20 hours ago