F1 News, Reports and Race Results

Leclerc suspects rivals hid their true potential on Friday

Charles Leclerc defended Ferrari's performance in today's qualifying session for the Emilia Romagna Grand Prix at Imola, saying that it wasn't a case of the team underperforming so much as it was their rivals having hidden their real pace.

Leclerc had been quickest in both of Friday's free practice sessions, but slipped to fourth place in a messy final practice topped by McLaren duo Oscar Piastri.

And when it came to qualifying it seemed there was no stopping Red Bull's Max Verstappen from taking his eighth consecutive pole position, with Piastri and Norris again ahead of Leclerc and his team mate Carlos Sainz.

But Leclerc insisted that Ferrari hadn't faded overnight, and that it was a case of Red Bull and McLaren having not shown their true hand in yesterday's sessions.

“I’m a bit disappointed, just today there wasn’t much more in the car," he admitted to the media in the paddock at the Autodromo Enzo e Dino Ferrari after qualifying.

“FP1 and FP2 went really well, however we never know what are the fuel levels of the others," he pointed out. "I think they hid their game a bit more than what we thought.

"That ended up by just having not enough performance in the car to do better today," he continued. “It’s a shame, but today was the best we could do.

"When you have upgrades on the car, when you are at [Ferrari’s] home, you obviously want to do really well," he said. Tomorrow we will focus on maximising the result, but the target remains the win.

“The car is definitely good in terms of race pace," he insisted. "However it’s one of the most difficult tracks to overtake on.

"Also I don’t quite understand why the DRS [activation zone] is shorter this year, which is going to make overtakes a bit more difficult.

“But strategy is still there, the pace is there, so my target is still the win," he said. "If we come short of this, it’s life, but we will have tried at least.”

For his part, Sainz said he wasn't surprised by the rapid pace of the McLaren pair this weekend, following on from Norris' landmark win last time out in Miami.

"Looking in detail the whole weekend McLaren have looked a bit stronger than us in single-lap pace on the softs," he said. “They were just not putting a lap together [on Friday]. But we knew they were going to be difficult to beat in quali.

“Then we had Max who obviously always gets there," he sighed. "Even if they run the engine turned down always in practice, and they look like they are struggling, we know Red Bull always have a lot to come, come qualifying.

Sainz admitted that he had struggled with the soft tyre today which is why he ended up some way off his team mate's time.

"I’m a lot quicker with the medium and with the hard tyres than what I am with softs, which is something I need to personally look into," he said. Apart from that, all good, it’s more or less where we expected to be.

“I think the target needs to be the podium tomorrow," he said when asked what his expectations were for tomorrow's race given his starting position on the third row of the grid. "And if something happens in front, get that win.”

Keep up to date with all the F1 news via Facebook and Twitter

Andrew Lewin

Andrew first became a fan of Formula 1 during the time when Michael Schumacher and Damon Hill were stepping into the limelight after the era of Alain Prost, Nigel Mansell and Aryton Senna. He's been addicted ever since, and has been writing about the sport now for nearly a quarter of a century for a number of online news sites. He's also written professionally about GP2 (now Formula 2), GP3, IndyCar, World Rally Championship, MotoGP and NASCAR. In his other professional life, Andrew is a freelance writer, social media consultant, web developer/programmer, and digital specialist in the fields of accessibility, usability, IA, online communities and public sector procurement. He worked for many years in magazine production at Bauer Media, and for over a decade he was part of the digital media team at the UK government's communications department. Born and raised in Essex, Andrew currently lives and works in south-west London.

Recent Posts

Stella names rivals ‘a step ahead’ of McLaren after Bahrain

McLaren arrived in Bahrain for pre-season testing determined to defend its status as Formula 1’s…

15 hours ago

Hulkenberg says Audi’s rivals haven't 'pulled their pants down' yet

Nico Hulkenberg has given F1 fans a vivid image to ponder ahead of the 2026…

16 hours ago

Total mileage and fastest laps from F1 pre-season testing

Under the pale winter sun of Barcelona and the desert glare of Bahrain, George Russell…

18 hours ago

Remembering the man who conquered F1's most thrilling win

Peter Gethin, the man who secured perhaps the most thrilling win ever witnessed in Grand…

19 hours ago

Aston Martin’s nightmare: Honda owns up to power unit meltdown

Aston Martin engine supplier Honda has publicly conceded what the timing screens in Bahrain had…

20 hours ago

Piastri explains management shake-up ahead of 2026 F1 season

As the countdown to 2026 gathers pace, Oscar Piastri has reshuffled his inner circle –…

22 hours ago