Championship leader Nico Rosberg is out of contract at the end of this year, and should he decide to part ways with current employer Mercedes, the German manufacturer could begin courting Fernando Alonso.
Mercedes Chairman Dieter Zetsche said in Barcelona last weekend that both the team's drivers "are under contract for the forthcoming season".
While motorsport boss Toto Wolff expressed his preference with continuing with both Hamilton and Rosberg, he also admitted that the contracts had yet to be finalised.
Asked about Mercedes interest in hiring Fernando Alonso to replace one of its drivers, and with the Spaniard having offered his services to Mercedes at the beginning of last year, Toto Wolff said he would welcome the McLaren driver but remained focused on finalising the team's contractual arrangements with Rosberg.
"Fernando is one of the best drivers in history and I like his character, but our priority now is Nico," Wolff told Spanish paper El Mundo.
"When he spoke to us, we could not negotiate as we promised Lewis that while we tried to renew his deal we would not talk with other drivers and we did not.
"But if Rosberg does not want to renew, then we will consider other options, like Fernando. His age is not a problem - his speed and his motivation are still there."
LIVE: Barcelona post-race - Day 1
DRIVER RATINGS: Spanish Grand Prix
Breakfast with ... Claire Williams
Keep up to date with all the F1 news via Facebook and Twitter
Sebastian Vettel may have retired from Formula 1, but the four-time world champion is clearly…
Fernando Alonso has insisted that Aston Martin’s troubled new-generation AMR26 can be fixed, but warned…
Red Bull team principal Laurent Mekies has forcefully brushed aside fears that Max Verstappen could…
F1 teams returned to the grind on Wednesday in Bahrain for the sport’s final three…
George Russell stamped his authority on Wednesday’s action in Bahrain, powering Mercedes to the top…
A simmering technical row in Formula 1 is hurtling toward a decisive moment, as the…