Nico Rosberg was fully aware beforehand that his decision to retire from F1 would inevitably "put Mercedes in a difficult situation".
Speaking to French broadcaster Canal Plus in Paris yesterday, the 2016 world champion said that while the decision itself was difficult, he was also troubled by the inevitable consequences his employers would face with regard to finding a driver to replace him.
"I knew it would put Mercedes in a difficult situation," he explained. "Toto (Wolff) was very understanding, but with Niki (Lauda) it took a little more time."
Before deciding to call it a day on his F1 career, Rosberg had committed earlier this year to a lucrative two-year contract worth a reputed €45 million. But the German says he has no regrets over the loss of income.
"I'm in a lucky situation thanks to the fact that I earned a good living in racing, and I know I am privileged. This is probably what permitted me to take my decision.
"I know that the money that was in that contract would not have made me any more happier in the future."
Virtual reality: The future of F1 coverage?
Jorge Lorenzo: When a two-wheel champion tests a Mercedes
Silbermann says ... Ignore Flavio, get Alonso in
INTERVIEW: Stoffel Vandoorne: The long wait is over
Keep up to date with all the F1 news via Facebook and Twitter
Reigning Formula 1 world champion Lando Norris has warned that McLaren’s 2026 challenger may not…
Thursday’s action at the Bahrain International Circuit delivered plenty of eye-catching moments as pre-season preparations…
Mercedes continued to set the pace on Thursday at the Bahrain International Circuit, with Kimi…
Toto Wolff has dismissed Formula 1’s escalating compression ratio controversy as “a storm in a…
Ferrari raised a few eyebrows in the F1 paddock in Bahrain on Thursday by unveiling…
Stephen South, born on this day 74 years ago, once rose through the junior ranks…