Sainz: Banking early points essential for Toro Rosso

Toro Rosso rookie Carlos Sainz Jr says his squad needs to take advantage of bigger teams’ current mishaps by piling up points during the early races of the season, including this weekend’s Chinese Grand Prix.

The 20-year-old Spaniard has enjoyed a steady F1 debut so far, as he secured two top-ten finishes in as many races.

With team-mate Max Verstappen also scoring his maiden points at Sepang, the Faenza-based outfit currently sits fifth in the Constructors’ standings, ahead of title-winning organisations Red Bull and McLaren.

Although both Renault-powered STR10s edged out the two sister RB11s fair and square in Malaysia, Sainz believes Toro Rosso is actually racing other rivals on Sundays.

“I think at the moment, there is a very interesting fight between Sauber, Lotus, and us,” said the reigning Formula Renault 3.5 champion. “When Red Bull fails, or when they are struggling like they are at the beginning of the year, they’re with us. But obviously I expect them to be in front for the upcoming races.

“It’s a bit like McLaren. In the end, these teams should be in front. We just need to use this opportunity, when they fail, to be ahead of them.”

While Sainz thinks more established teams will eventually move up the pecking order, he remains determined to capitalise on their difficult start and is pleased to see Toro Rosso perform so well.

“Toro Rosso has done a very good job to drive around all the problems with the power unit in the first race and in Malaysia to use the step forward to be up there. The car mechanically and aerodynamically feels really nice to drive.

“But again, this is just the beginning of the year. A lot of teams with a bit more experience and budget will go up. Our target is to use this opportunity to build up a lot of points, like Force India did last year.”

Click here for Chris Medland's Chinese Grand Prix preview. 

Keep up to date with all the F1 news via Facebook and Twitter

Julien Billiotte

Recent Posts

Is McLaren’s edge slipping? Norris drops subtle warning

Reigning Formula 1 world champion Lando Norris has warned that McLaren’s 2026 challenger may not…

3 hours ago

Bahrain F1 testing: Day 5 in pictures

Thursday’s action at the Bahrain International Circuit delivered plenty of eye-catching moments as pre-season preparations…

4 hours ago

Bahrain F1 test: Antonelli and Mercedes fastest on Day 5

Mercedes continued to set the pace on Thursday at the Bahrain International Circuit, with Kimi…

4 hours ago

Wolff hits back at F1 compression ratio controversy: ‘Utter bullshit’

Toto Wolff has dismissed Formula 1’s escalating compression ratio controversy as “a storm in a…

6 hours ago

Ferrari flips F1 aero on its head with radical SF-26 rear wing

Ferrari raised a few eyebrows in the F1 paddock in Bahrain on Thursday by unveiling…

7 hours ago

A promising F1 career sadly gone South

Stephen South, born on this day 74 years ago, once rose through the junior ranks…

9 hours ago