Alonso would regret move if Ferrari wins title

Fernando Alonso says he may regret his decision to leave Ferrari if it wins the world championship this season.

The Spaniard left Ferrari after a winless season in 2014, moving to McLaren despite still having two years to run on his contract. Sebastian Vettel has started his Ferrari career with a third place in Australia followed by a win in Malaysia and Alonso says he doesn’t regret his decision at the moment, but would have second thoughts if Ferrari wins the title.

“I’ve been five years at Ferrari, I finished second three times and I didn’t want to finish second a fourth time,” Alonso said. “So if they win the championship at the end of the year then maybe I’ll have a different opinion. If they finish second or third then I think I’m happy with the decision.

“There have been years where we started very well at Ferrari - winning [in China] in 2013 for example - but when it counts is in November and in November we never won. So I want to win in November. We’ll see.”

However, Alonso - who also said he hopes to finish his career at McLaren - says his new team is definitely on the right track.

“It’s just a question of time. Being behind in testing is a high price to play now in the first races because it is a learning process, but the steps forward that we are doing are quite positive and definitely the direction we are going in is the right one. Sometimes you can get lost when you are so far behind and I don't think we are lost.

“So, it’s a question of time when we will be competitive and hopefully it will be sooner rather than later.”

Click here for Chris Medland's Chinese Grand Prix preview. 

Keep up to date with all the F1 news via Facebook and Twitter

Andrew Lewin

Andrew first became a fan of Formula 1 during the time when Michael Schumacher and Damon Hill were stepping into the limelight after the era of Alain Prost, Nigel Mansell and Aryton Senna. He's been addicted ever since, and has been writing about the sport now for nearly a quarter of a century for a number of online news sites. He's also written professionally about GP2 (now Formula 2), GP3, IndyCar, World Rally Championship, MotoGP and NASCAR. In his other professional life, Andrew is a freelance writer, social media consultant, web developer/programmer, and digital specialist in the fields of accessibility, usability, IA, online communities and public sector procurement. He worked for many years in magazine production at Bauer Media, and for over a decade he was part of the digital media team at the UK government's communications department. Born and raised in Essex, Andrew currently lives and works in south-west London.

Recent Posts

Vasseur encouraged as Ferrari hits mileage targets in Bahrain

Ferrari wrapped up a productive pre-season testing stint in Bahrain, leaving team principal Fred Vasseur…

8 hours ago

Antonelli sees fixes, Russell stumbles as Bahrain reveals issues

Mercedes’ pre-season testing in Bahrain wrapped up on Friday with a mix of promise and…

8 hours ago

Bahrain F1 testing: Day 6 in pictures

F1 pre-season testing reached its conclusion in Bahrain on Friday, and it’s now time for…

9 hours ago

Ferrari's Leclerc dominates final day of testing in Bahrain

Ferrari and Charles Leclerc ended the 2026 Bahrain pre-season testing on a high note, dominating…

10 hours ago

Vettel reveals his ‘gut feeling’ title favourite for 2026

Four-time world champion Sebastian Vettel has thrown a bold prediction into Formula 1’s swirling 2026…

11 hours ago

Honda issues sink Aston Martin’s final day of running in Bahrain

Aston Martin’s pre-season preparations in Bahrain have taken on the air of a slow-motion collapse,…

13 hours ago