Sebastian Vettel believes he will be able to attack Lewis Hamilton in the Bahrain Grand Prix after qualifying alongside the championship leader.

Hamilton took pole position by 0.4s after an exciting qualifying session, with Vettel able to beat Nico Rosberg to second position as he had in Malaysia when he went on to win. Mercedes has taken pole position at all four races so far this season but Vettel is confident Ferrari will once again prove to be a bigger threat in race trim.

“First of all I’m very happy with second today,” Vettel said. “It was a tough session. At the beginning I didn’t really find the rhythm that I seemed to have in practice but then towards the end more and more it was getting better, I was feeling happier in the car and I felt more comfortable to push.

“For now I’m very happy with the front row and hopefully tomorrow we can have a good start and then a good race from there. In the race we are maybe a bit closer so we will see what happens.”

Later talking about Ferrari’s hopes of victory, with Hamilton having already noted the threat from Vettel, the German replied: “Lewis said earlier that we will be difficult to beat and he’s right.”

And Vettel says he takes great satisfaction from being closer to Mercedes in qualifying trim than ever before this season.

"We are progresing as a team. For this race we didn't bring any updates in particular, so it's really a circuit that is maybe a little better for us. It's also about continuously working with the car, getting on top of what to do with the car, learning and how the changes are reacting on track.

"That's the area where are making most progress at the minute. We are trying to push in all areas, but for now we can be very happy with where we are. Today was the first time we were able to split them through dry conditions in qualifying, so I'm very happy."

Click here for analysis of the development war between Ferrari and Mercedes 

Keep up to date with all the F1 news via Facebook and Twitter

Andrew Lewin

Andrew first became a fan of Formula 1 during the time when Michael Schumacher and Damon Hill were stepping into the limelight after the era of Alain Prost, Nigel Mansell and Aryton Senna. He's been addicted ever since, and has been writing about the sport now for nearly a quarter of a century for a number of online news sites. He's also written professionally about GP2 (now Formula 2), GP3, IndyCar, World Rally Championship, MotoGP and NASCAR. In his other professional life, Andrew is a freelance writer, social media consultant, web developer/programmer, and digital specialist in the fields of accessibility, usability, IA, online communities and public sector procurement. He worked for many years in magazine production at Bauer Media, and for over a decade he was part of the digital media team at the UK government's communications department. Born and raised in Essex, Andrew currently lives and works in south-west London.

Recent Posts

Haas targets top-10 return in Canada as team unleashes VF-26 upgrade

Read also: Haas is set to roll out a heavily revised VF-26 in Montreal this…

2 hours ago

Mercedes confirms Montreal upgrade: ‘We need to respond’

Toto Wolff has fired a clear warning to Formula 1’s chasing pack ahead of this…

4 hours ago

Schumacher facing challenging Indy 500 debut after qualifying

Mick Schumacher is officially locked into the field for his very first Indianapolis 500, though…

5 hours ago

A Lotus blossoms in Monaco for the very first time

Colin Chapman's Team Lotus entered Grand Prix racing on this day in 1958, fielding a…

7 hours ago

Palou takes stunning Indy 500 pole for Ganassi: ‘I have no words’

Talk about a masterclass in speed! On Sunday at the Brickyard, Chip Ganassi Racing’s Alex…

7 hours ago

Coulthard flags hidden challenge behind Antonelli’s shock title bid

David Coulthard believes Kimi Antonelli’s rapid rise to the top of the Formula 1 world…

8 hours ago