Sebastian Vettel believes Ferrari has a good platform to work from after setting the pace on the opening two days of pre-season testing.

While Mercedes was able to complete over 240 laps during the first two days, Vettel set the fastest time on both Sunday and Monday at his first pre-season test as a Ferrari driver. With former team Red Bull enduring a tough start to the test, Vettel said there were no major concerns he had from his initial impressions of the SF15-T.

“Well it certainly could be worse,” Vettel said. “I think compared to last year at this stage it’s looking quite a bit better. We did a lot of laps, especially today. I think it’s normal in winter testing if you see anything running hot you take the time to stop and have a look which unfortunately takes time.

“I think overall it was a good day and in the end we got some running on the new inters which seemed to work even in these poor condition, so overall I think we can be fairly happy.”

And Vettel said he was pleased with the feeling he gets from the Ferrari despite having been unable to influence its development prior to the winter.

“It’s still very early to tell because in the end it always depends how you compare to other people. Some people didn’t show much, others, if you look at Mercedes, are running a slightly different approach with more longer runs and extreme long runs.

“In that regard it’s difficult, but speaking about the feeling inside the car, I’m quite happy and I think we definitely have a good platform to start working from and move on to, so that’s the target in the next couple of weeks.”

Click here for the gallery of the second day of testing at Jerez

Keep up to date with all the F1 news via Facebook and Twitter

Andrew Lewin

Andrew first became a fan of Formula 1 during the time when Michael Schumacher and Damon Hill were stepping into the limelight after the era of Alain Prost, Nigel Mansell and Aryton Senna. He's been addicted ever since, and has been writing about the sport now for nearly a quarter of a century for a number of online news sites. He's also written professionally about GP2 (now Formula 2), GP3, IndyCar, World Rally Championship, MotoGP and NASCAR. In his other professional life, Andrew is a freelance writer, social media consultant, web developer/programmer, and digital specialist in the fields of accessibility, usability, IA, online communities and public sector procurement. He worked for many years in magazine production at Bauer Media, and for over a decade he was part of the digital media team at the UK government's communications department. Born and raised in Essex, Andrew currently lives and works in south-west London.

Recent Posts

Norris puts Le Mans on bucket list as McLaren builds Hypercar era

The horizons of the motorsport world are expanding rapidly, and reigning Formula 1 world champion…

3 hours ago

Red Bull sees Montreal as ‘another good test’ of RB22 progress

Red Bull Racing heads to Montreal quietly confident that the development path of its RB22…

4 hours ago

Brundle says Russell must 'stop Antonelli in his tracks’ in Montreal

George Russell entered 2026 expecting to lead Mercedes into Formula 1’s new era. Instead, five…

6 hours ago

Ben Sulayem slams F1 critics: ‘Only teams behind are complaining'

Mohammed Ben Sulayem has delivered a blunt message to Formula 1’s grumbling teams over the…

7 hours ago

Remembering Niki...

Seven years ago today, Formula 1 and the motorsport family at large mourned the loss…

8 hours ago

Stroll keeping the faith, talks up Aston Martin’s ‘very bright’ future

The grand promises surrounding Aston Martin’s ambitious leap into Formula 1’s new era have quickly…

9 hours ago