Daniel Ricciardo says he was ready for Red Bull’s first test to be “compromised” by the updated Renault power unit.

Having only completed 35 laps on the opening day of pre-season testing, Ricciardo returned to the car on Tuesday but had completed just five laps before a power unit change confined him to the garage for a number of hours. Eventually completing 48 laps on day three - with only McLaren managing less - Ricciardo insists he has no concerns over the power unit reliability.

Asked if he felt Renault isn’t ready, Ricciardo replied: “No.

“We came in to this test knowing it was a pretty big evolution from last year and we knew it was tight. Obviously we would love to do 150 laps here but we knew it would be compromised one way or another. We’ll see, if Daniil [Kvyat] can rack up another 50 laps tomorrow I think that’s not a bad first test for us.”

And despite his limited running, Ricciardo said the 83 laps he has completed at Jerez has allowed him to get a feeling that the RB11 is better than last year’s Red Bull.

“I guess everybody wants answers but it honestly is still early. Every lap we did I thought we learned something and I feel some improvements from last year so for now I’d say an improvement. Comparing to the others I can’t compare yet. We didn’t do a whole lot of laps compared to the others but every lap we did and turned I felt we learned something, we understood something.

“I’m looking forward to Barcelona, I think we’ll have some more new parts on the car from both sides. We’ll get some more running and maybe get a better understanding in respect of the others.”

Andrew Lewin

Andrew first became a fan of Formula 1 during the time when Michael Schumacher and Damon Hill were stepping into the limelight after the era of Alain Prost, Nigel Mansell and Aryton Senna. He's been addicted ever since, and has been writing about the sport now for nearly a quarter of a century for a number of online news sites. He's also written professionally about GP2 (now Formula 2), GP3, IndyCar, World Rally Championship, MotoGP and NASCAR. In his other professional life, Andrew is a freelance writer, social media consultant, web developer/programmer, and digital specialist in the fields of accessibility, usability, IA, online communities and public sector procurement. He worked for many years in magazine production at Bauer Media, and for over a decade he was part of the digital media team at the UK government's communications department. Born and raised in Essex, Andrew currently lives and works in south-west London.

Recent Posts

Cadillac F1 owner Mark Walter reportedly facing federal probe

The Cadillac F1 team heads into this weekend’s Dutch Grand Prix with a new team…

43 minutes ago

An F1 baptism by fire on home turf for Berger

On this day in 1984, Gerhard Berger started the first of his 210 Grands Prix,…

2 hours ago

Williams end Sainz uncertainty with multi-year contract extension

Williams has moved decisively to end the uncertainty over Carlos Sainz’s future, confirming that the…

3 hours ago

Confirmed: Hadjar out, Lawson in at Red Bull for Dutch GP

Red Bull has confirmed that Isack Hadjar will miss this weekend’s Dutch Grand Prix after…

5 hours ago

Honda facing ‘important milestone’ as new PU debuts at Dutch GP

Honda is ready to give Aston Martin another reason for optimism at Zandvoort, with its…

6 hours ago

Albon explains why he backs Williams: 'We needed this tough year'

Alex Albon says he’s chosen belief over frustration in his decision to commit his future…

7 hours ago