Christian Horner says Red Bull is expecting to know Renault's plans for the future by the Singapore Grand Prix.
Renault has been in negotiations regarding a takeover of Lotus for a number of months, but no deal has been announced. If Renault becomes a full constructor once again, it would mark the end of Red Bull's partnership with the French manufacturer, with a switch to Ferrari power units now the most likely result.
Speaking after the Italian Grand Prix, Horner said the gap between races needs to see Renault's future clarified.
“I mean obviously time is starting to press on now, we’re now into September and everybody needs to know," Horner said. "What are Renault’s plans for the future? I would have thought within the next two weeks we should all know what Renault’s position is.”
Renault has also been working on a power unit upgrade for this season, but Horner says there are no guarantees Red Bull will take the new engines.
“It hasn’t been confirmed to us when it will be or how much performance it will be either. When we understand what the performance gain is then you’ve got to weigh it up with, ‘Is it worth taking a penalty for?’ So we’ll wait to hear from Renault on that.”
Click here for F1i's technical analysis of the Spa and Monza upgrades
2016 F1 driver line-ups so far
F1 drivers' girlfriends gallery
Keep up to date with all the F1 news via Facebook and Twitter
Stephen South, born on this day 74 years ago, once rose through the junior ranks…
Lando Norris set the pace in Thursday’s first session in Bahrain pre-season test, putting McLaren…
The FIA has chosen to trial in Bahrain a new Formula 1 start procedure –…
Sebastian Vettel may have retired from Formula 1, but the four-time world champion is clearly…
Fernando Alonso has insisted that Aston Martin’s troubled new-generation AMR26 can be fixed, but warned…
Red Bull team principal Laurent Mekies has forcefully brushed aside fears that Max Verstappen could…