F1 News, Reports and Race Results

Charity football match to support Michael Schumacher

The second 'Champions for Charity' football match is to be held in support of seven-time Formula 1 world champion Michael Schumacher.

Schumacher is still making a long recovery from the serious injuries he sustained in a skiing accident in France in 2013. One of the charities benefiting from proceeds will be Schumacher's Keep Fighting Initiative.

Last year's inaugural match attracted 25,000 spectators. Sebastian Vettel captained the team last year. Among stars already confirmed to attend this year's event are Schumacher's long-time F1 rival Mika Hakkinen and football star Miroslav Klose.

Schumacher's son Mick - himself a rising star in the world of motorsports - will also take part. The match is scheduled to take place on July 3 in Mainz, Germany.

"For me it is a matter of course that I'll be at Champions for Charity," said the 18-year-old. "Last year's match I could barely stop laughing.

"It's a good feeling to be able to support charitable purposes. This combination of fun and meaning is perfect in my eyes."

Mick said that he was glad "all the other players and the spectators in the stadium can see it the same way," adding: "I'm looking forward to an entertaining game."

The event is being organised by the Dirk Nowitzki Foundation. Set up by the German professional basketball player, the foundation supports disadvantaged children and young people around the world.

"I am very happy that Champions for Charity will take place for the second time this summer," said Nowitzki.

"Last year, we had a great event for the whole family in Mainz, including top athletes, lots of goals and above all a world class audience. Our goal this year is that players and spectators have fun together.

"Michael Schumacher's charity games are legendary. It has always been an honour and a great pleasure for me to be there.

"I am especially pleased that Mick Schumacher is back with us when we are playing in honour of his father. This year, too, we will continue the tradition and support Michael's good and important projects together."

GALLERY: Alonso's Indy 500 challenger

Keep up to date with all the F1 news via Facebook and Twitter

Andrew Lewin

Andrew first became a fan of Formula 1 during the time when Michael Schumacher and Damon Hill were stepping into the limelight after the era of Alain Prost, Nigel Mansell and Aryton Senna. He's been addicted ever since, and has been writing about the sport now for nearly a quarter of a century for a number of online news sites. He's also written professionally about GP2 (now Formula 2), GP3, IndyCar, World Rally Championship, MotoGP and NASCAR. In his other professional life, Andrew is a freelance writer, social media consultant, web developer/programmer, and digital specialist in the fields of accessibility, usability, IA, online communities and public sector procurement. He worked for many years in magazine production at Bauer Media, and for over a decade he was part of the digital media team at the UK government's communications department. Born and raised in Essex, Andrew currently lives and works in south-west London.

Recent Posts

Budkowski on why he begins Cadillac tenure ‘in listening mode’

Marcin Budkowski has wasted little time identifying the first task awaiting him at Cadillac –…

20 minutes ago

Szafnauer opens door to F1 return – but only on his terms

Otmar Szafnauer has left the door ajar for a Formula 1 comeback, but the former…

2 hours ago

The day Brambilla was left singing in the rain

Vittorio Brambilla's single Grand Prix win, achieved on this day in 1975, was a unique…

3 hours ago

Ericsson snaps IndyCar drought with commanding win at Markham

The long wait is finally over. In a chaotic, heart-pounding late-race charge at the inaugural…

4 hours ago

‘As a purist, I like it’: Wolff backs F1 V8 comeback

Toto Wolff may be one of the biggest beneficiaries of Formula 1’s turbo-hybrid revolution, but…

5 hours ago

Steiner casts doubt on Bottas’ Cadillac future: ‘He has given up’

Former F1 team boss Guenther Steiner has questioned whether Cadillac’s Valtteri Bottas still possesses the…

6 hours ago