Bernie Ecclestone says he is unaware if Ferrari has rejected Red Bull's request for power units.

With Ferrari looking like Red Bull's only realistic chance of securing a power unit deal for 2016, German publication Auto Motor und Sport reported on Friday that Ferrari would only supply Toro Rosso with 2015 units and had turned down Red Bull.

When asked by Sky Sports if the report was true, Ecclestone replied: "I don’t know, honestly.

"I think enough has been said about these engines I don’t want to make any comments."

However, Ecclestone believes Red Bull is nearing clarification on its future in F1.

"I think it’s all been cleared up now ... I think it’s been cleared up, whatever they’re going to have."

When asked if it has been cleared up in a positive way, Ecclestone replied: "Well, if they get an engine its positive, isn’t it?"

Earlier this week Red Bull owner Dietrich Mateschitz put a deadline of the end of October on securing a competitive power unit deal, otherwise he threatens to quit F1.

F1i technical expert Nicolas Carpentiers takes us through exclusive pictures of Renault's power unit

Click here for the F1 drivers' girlfriends gallery

Keep up to date with all the F1 news via Facebook and Twitter

Andrew Lewin

Andrew first became a fan of Formula 1 during the time when Michael Schumacher and Damon Hill were stepping into the limelight after the era of Alain Prost, Nigel Mansell and Aryton Senna. He's been addicted ever since, and has been writing about the sport now for nearly a quarter of a century for a number of online news sites. He's also written professionally about GP2 (now Formula 2), GP3, IndyCar, World Rally Championship, MotoGP and NASCAR. In his other professional life, Andrew is a freelance writer, social media consultant, web developer/programmer, and digital specialist in the fields of accessibility, usability, IA, online communities and public sector procurement. He worked for many years in magazine production at Bauer Media, and for over a decade he was part of the digital media team at the UK government's communications department. Born and raised in Essex, Andrew currently lives and works in south-west London.

Recent Posts

Hamilton re-set and refreshed: ‘For a moment, I forgot who I was’

Lewis Hamilton has drawn a bold line under last season’s frustrations, declaring himself “re-set and…

33 mins ago

Stella names rivals ‘a step ahead’ of McLaren after Bahrain

McLaren arrived in Bahrain for pre-season testing determined to defend its status as Formula 1’s…

16 hours ago

Hulkenberg says Audi’s rivals haven't 'pulled their pants down' yet

Nico Hulkenberg has given F1 fans a vivid image to ponder ahead of the 2026…

18 hours ago

Total mileage and fastest laps from F1 pre-season testing

Under the pale winter sun of Barcelona and the desert glare of Bahrain, George Russell…

19 hours ago

Remembering the man who conquered F1's most thrilling win

Peter Gethin, the man who secured perhaps the most thrilling win ever witnessed in Grand…

21 hours ago

Aston Martin’s nightmare: Honda owns up to power unit meltdown

Aston Martin engine supplier Honda has publicly conceded what the timing screens in Bahrain had…

22 hours ago