F1 News, Reports and Race Results

Dutch GP prospects boosted by Charlie Whiting visit to Assen!

FIA safety delegate Charlie Whiting paid the Assen circuit a visit last week as the venue mulls a bid to host a Dutch Grand Prix.

Bringing Formula 1 back to Holland, which enjoyed its last championship race in 1985 at Zandvoort, is an enticing prospect for the country, and for Liberty Media, given the massive popularity of local hero Max Verstappen.

Historical venue Zandvoort is currently conducting a feasibility to gauge the economics associated with a Dutch Grand Prix.

But Assen may now have the upper hand following Whiting's visit last Friday and his subsequent assessment of the track's infrastructure.

The 4.5-kilometer course, which enjoys a capacity of 110,000 spectators and hosts a MotoGP event each year, would not require significant improvement to receive the mandatory Grade 1 license from the FIA.

Whiting pinpointed changes to kerbs, crash barriers, the need to install Tecpro safety barriers and a few alterations to the track's layout.

The rather positive review follows the track's own assessment via computer simulation and moves Assen a step closer to the dream of bringing F1 back to Holland.

"We're not there yet, but it is nice to hear that Whiting is so positive about the circuit, the modern facilities and the state of maintenance," Arjan Bos told De Telegraaf.

"We have always said that we hope to bring the Grand Prix back to the Netherlands within three years. At the moment I estimate the chance at 50/50."

Beyond Assen's suitability however, a Dutch Grand Prix would still require a promoter. The project has generated interest from the Netherlands and abroad, according to Bos.

Gallery: The beautiful wives and girlfriends of F1 drivers

Keep up to date with all the F1 news via Facebook and Twitter

Michael Delaney

Recent Posts

A promising F1 career sadly gone South

Stephen South, born on this day 74 years ago, once rose through the junior ranks…

51 mins ago

McLaren and Norris fastest midday in Bahrain on Day 5

Lando Norris set the pace in Thursday’s first session in Bahrain pre-season test, putting McLaren…

2 hours ago

FIA trials longer start procedure to ease turbo challenges

The FIA has chosen to trial in Bahrain a new Formula 1 start procedure –…

2 hours ago

Vettel teases dream Le Mans team-up with Verstappen

Sebastian Vettel may have retired from Formula 1, but the four-time world champion is clearly…

3 hours ago

Alonso: Aston Martin’s problems fixable – but time is slipping away

Fernando Alonso has insisted that Aston Martin’s troubled new-generation AMR26 can be fixed, but warned…

5 hours ago

Mekies has ‘zero concern’ over Verstappen losing interest in F1

Red Bull team principal Laurent Mekies has forcefully brushed aside fears that Max Verstappen could…

19 hours ago