Verstappen ‘quite sure’ about Toro Rosso future

Toro Rosso rookie Max Verstappen says he feels “quite sure” to stay with the Faenza-based squad in 2016 regardless of its power supply.

Parent outfit Red Bull cut ties with engine partner Renault one year ahead of schedule, and has yet to announce a replacement deal for next season.

Despite company boss Dietrich Mateschitz repeatedly threatening to pull the plug on his two teams if he fails to land a competitive power unit, it is believed that junior squad Toro Rosso is poised to use year-old Ferrari engines next season.

Asked by GPUpdate.net whether he feared for his future in the top flight amidst the current uncertainty, Verstappen replied:

“For me it is not so difficult. [Toro Rosso] told me that they are quite positive about the developments, so I'm not worried.

“Whether I'm driving next year in a Toro Rosso-Renault? I do not know. But I will be in a Toro Rosso, that's quite sure.”

The Dutchman has had a cracking debut season so far. Not only did the teenager become the youngest F1 points-scorer by finishing seventh in Malaysia, he followed it up with eight more top-10 appearances, including two P4s at Budapest and Austin.

Verstappen currently occupies 10th position in the Drivers’ standings, with Lotus’ Romain Grosjean two points behind and Force India’s Nico Hulkenberg another point adrift.

While the 18-year-old was able to fend off the Frenchman during last weekend’s Mexican Grand Prix, Verstappen thinks the reigning Le Mans 24 Hours champion will present a harder challenge until the end of the season.

“That will be difficult [to keep P10]. Force India is currently very strong. But of course we will do our best, we'll see.

“If you look [at] Mexico, with the very long straight, it was quite difficult for us of course. Brazil has slightly more fast corners, which should be reasonable for us. So hopefully we get a few more points.”

Mexican Grand Prix - Driver ratings

Use the red tabs on either side of the screen to scroll through more Formula One news and features

Click here for the F1 drivers' girlfriends gallery

Keep up to date with all the F1 news via Facebook and Twitter

Julien Billiotte

Recent Posts

Palou takes stunning Indy 500 pole for Ganassi: ‘I have no words’

Talk about a masterclass in speed! On Sunday at the Brickyard, Chip Ganassi Racing’s Alex…

28 minutes ago

Coulthard flags hidden challenge behind Antonelli’s shock title bid

David Coulthard believes Kimi Antonelli’s rapid rise to the top of the Formula 1 world…

1 hour ago

Horner gives insight into post-Red Bull life at Monaco E-Prix

Less than a year after his dramatic exit from Red Bull following last summer’s British…

3 hours ago

Lindblad left frustrated by lost F1 mileage amid troubled start

Arvid Lindblad arrived in Formula 1 carrying the weight of expectation and the confidence of…

4 hours ago

‘It’s exponential’: Apple bullish on F1’s 'beautiful' future in the U.S.

Formula 1’s American revolution is no longer being discussed as a novelty. Inside Apple, it…

21 hours ago

Coulthard left ‘speechless’ by Formula E GEN4 car after Monaco blast

David Coulthard has never been short of superlatives in a racing career that took him…

22 hours ago