F1 News, Reports and Race Results

Haas: Three drivers in the running to partner Magnussen

Haas F1 Team boss Guenther Steiner has identified three drivers who could potentially race alongside Kevin Magnussen at the US outfit next season.

Magnussen has outscored Grosjean so far this season, but the pair's frequent on-track clashes has done little to convince Steiner to renew the line-up for a fourth season.

Thursday's announcement by Mercedes that it will retain the services of Valtteri Bottas keeps Esteban Ocon - the German outfit's reserve driver - on the market.

But news of the Frenchman's transfer to Renault is supposedly imminent, and confirmation of that move would put Nico Hulkenberg in the running at Haas, as Steiner confirmed at Spa.

"We're almost there," said the Italian. "It's not a long time until we decide what to do.

"I will spend some time with Gene [Haas, team owner] also this and next week.

And that was always our time, Spa-Monza, when we spend quite a bit of time together too and then the team decides what to do."

Queried on Haas' interest for Hulkenberg, Steiner confirmed the 32-year-old was on the Us outfit's shortlist.

"There's not many drivers," added Steiner. "We always said that our dream was always to have a driver with experience, so for sure there's interest.

"There's interest in Ocon, I always said that they are the two. And there's interest for Romain as well. So we just need to decide who we go with.

"They're the three with experience. Otherwise I couldn't see anybody else who has got the experience which is on the market.

Gallery: The beautiful wives and girlfriends of F1 drivers

Keep up to date with all the F1 news via Facebook and Twitter

Guillaume Alvarez

Recent Posts

Hulkenberg says Audi’s rivals haven't 'pulled their pants down' yet

Nico Hulkenberg has given F1 fans a vivid image to ponder ahead of the 2026…

34 mins ago

Total mileage and fastest laps from F1 pre-season testing

Under the pale winter sun of Barcelona and the desert glare of Bahrain, George Russell…

2 hours ago

Remembering the man who conquered F1's most thrilling win

Peter Gethin, the man who secured perhaps the most thrilling win ever witnessed in Grand…

4 hours ago

Aston Martin’s nightmare: Honda owns up to power unit meltdown

Aston Martin engine supplier Honda has publicly conceded what the timing screens in Bahrain had…

5 hours ago

Piastri explains management shake-up ahead of 2026 F1 season

As the countdown to 2026 gathers pace, Oscar Piastri has reshuffled his inner circle –…

6 hours ago

Aston Martin F1 secures naming rights in perpetuity amid turmoil

The Aston Martin F1 team will carry its name into Grand Prix racing’s future in…

7 hours ago