F1 News, Reports and Race Results

Ericsson to give absolute priority to Indycar over Alfa reserve role

Marcus Ericsson is expecting to retain a role with Alfa Romeo Racing in F1 next season, but the Swede's main focus will be on his IndyCar commitment with Chip Ganassi Racing.

Ericsson raced for Sauber/Alfa Romeo between 2015 and 2018 before exiling himself to the US where he took up a full-time IndyCar seat with Arrow Schmidt Peterson Motorsport, achieving a podium finish at Belle Isle in Detroit.

Following ASP's alliance with McLaren, Ericsson will transfer to Chip Ganassi's outfit for 2020 where he will race alongside five-tine IndyCar champion Scott Dixon.

However, the 29-year-old will be keeping a helmet bag and a set of overalls at Hinwil, just in case.

"I have a long relationship with Alfa Romeo and Sauber and I'm pretty sure I will have some role there, but then I've also said that I really want to focus 100 per cent on this Indy season," Ericsson told Sweden's Expressen.

"The priority is not to be a reserve driver in Formula 1, the priority is Indycar.

"But I don't want to say too much about it's complicated, with different things to take into account. We'll see in the future what Alfa Romeo and even Ganassi want."

.

Ericsson found himself in F1's headlines earlier this year when he was touted by the media as Kimi Raikkonen's replacement at Spa, when the Finn's participation in the Belgian Grand Prix was uncertain because of a minor injury.

Ericsson ultimately remained on the sidelines in Belgium but his presence had forced him to miss an IndyCar round in Portland.

"Everything happened very quickly," he remembered. "In the US they noticed that I would not be driving [at Portland] and therefore assumed that I would be racing in F1.

"That's the problem with social media today, if someone writes something it becomes like an explosion and then it goes everywhere.

"Alfa Romeo then came out and put the cards on the table, but it wasn't optimal, it was a bit chaotic."

Gallery: The beautiful wives and girlfriends of F1 drivers

Keep up to date with all the F1 news via Facebook and Twitter

Phillip van Osten

Motor racing was a backdrop from the outset in Phillip van Osten's life. Born in Southern California, Phillip grew up with the sights and sounds of fast cars thanks to his father, Dick van Osten, an editor and writer for Auto Speed and Sport and Motor Trend. Phillip's passion for racing grew even more when his family moved to Europe and he became acquainted with the extraordinary world of Grand Prix racing. He was an early contributor to the monthly French F1i Magazine, often providing a historic or business perspective on Formula 1's affairs. In 2012, he co-authored along with fellow journalist Pierre Van Vliet the English-language adaptation of a limited edition book devoted to the great Belgian driver Jacky Ickx. He also authored "The American Legacy in Formula 1", a book which recounts the trials and tribulations of American drivers in Grand Prix racing. Phillip is also a commentator for Belgian broadcaster Be.TV for the US Indycar series.

Recent Posts

Aston Martin F1 sells minor stake to billionaire Woody Johnson

Aston Martin F1 has added a high-profile new investor to its rostrum of shareholders, with…

15 minutes ago

Dutch GP: Thursday's media in pictures

Formula 1 roars back into action this weekend as the summer break gives way to…

1 hour ago

Gasly praises Verstappen’s manager for achieving ‘nice pay rise’

Pierre Gasly has offered a mischievous glimpse behind the curtain of Max Verstappen’s new Red…

2 hours ago

Russell says Mercedes seat ‘never under threat’ by Verstappen

George Russell has offered a cool-headed response to Max Verstappen’s decision to remain at Red…

3 hours ago

Verstappen says retirement was closer than joining rival F1 team

Max Verstappen has revealed that his Formula 1 future came perilously close to ending altogether,…

4 hours ago

Cadillac F1 quash sale rumours amid TWG investigation

Cadillac has moved swiftly to quash speculation that its fledgling Formula 1 operation could be…

5 hours ago